Forum Upgrade Ideas

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

WOW!!! A secret cite where no backyard builders are allowed. I just came in, Sunday morning mind you, from my backyard shop finishing an all aluminum 421 with a well known builders name engraved in the heads. As quick as I finish it I have to start another aluminum 393. Apparently the customer doesn't think too much about the difference. I have to wonder exactly how many engines does one have to build to be encluded in this club. Or what other criteria there is. Do you have to have a certain number of square feet? A few weeks ago one of the guys here, with a shop, needed a part to repair a head. I made the part and sent it to him at no cost so he could finish the customers heads. He didn't care where I made it then. I think Mike Lewis works from his backyard. He has one of the best equipped shops there is. Last year I needed a cam bearing hole line bored. I saw Mikes machine on here and made some tooling so I could do the block in my backyard rather than ship it all over the country. A few weeks back at 2 different tracks there was a pair of end of year 40 & 50 lappers on the same night. There were a total of 92 late models at the 2 races. A couple of my guys sat on the pole of each and led every lap. Yes this kind of stuff pisses me off being just a backyard builder but hey if I'm not welcome at this secret cite I'll see you at the races and I'll be doing everything in my power to see that my guys have what it takes to win.
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

If the business guys want a private place. Then they should start thier own website. Then we won't have TEASE link on this site.

DCK or ??? The reason I mentioned that was to be FAIR. And besides how to prove your a business guy? Force everyone the get a business tax ID if they want to join the new private area here?
k-star
Guru
Guru

site

Post by k-star »

It has nothing to do with the physical location of your shop. Mine is in my back yard also. If thats all you took out of the post, then ok, you missed the point. It was a figure of speach.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Rusty105

Post by Rusty105 »

Guys! Who cares where you buld your engines. Apple and HP were founded in a Garage! To ass-u-me just because you haqve a store front, or tax ID makes you a good builder is absurd. I have no idea what a good way to seperate the "pros" from the hacks, even if you want to do that? Ideas and discussions is what this is about.

Rusty
Rusty
[url=http://www.racefab.net][b][color=Navy]Racefab[/color][/b][/url] Race Car Design and Fabrication Forums
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Re: site

Post by RW TECH »

k-star wrote:Yea but anybody can log on and see the post, you don't need to own a shop to read/post there.

Keith
I agree with this and it would be my suggestion as well. Charge each of us 5-bucks or whatever and require proof of a registered business (i.e.-yellow pages ad or articles of incorporation).
Mentally Impaired

Post by Mentally Impaired »

RW TECH wrote:I agree with this and it would be my suggestion as well. Charge each of us 5-bucks or whatever and require proof of a registered business (i.e.-yellow pages ad or articles of incorporation).
See I disagree, if you want to vent & talk about a customer in private that's fine, use your email, phone, etc.. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this great place get started to provide an OPEN area for EVERYBODY to discuss things & exchange ideas. There is already too much closed door, back room, super double secret stuff out there. It'd be a shame to see SpeedTalk turn into one more of those places.

In closing, I haven't read the other posts & I can definitely understand k-star being upset about out of pocket for $100 but I'd bet he has at least 1 customer for life now.
k-star
Guru
Guru

forum

Post by k-star »

IMO nothing on this site will change with the addition of a business only section. The information given out on this site is a free deal at the posters choice. I would probably not share in the normal sections the things I would share with other business owners. So nothings lost. Guys will still help at their own choosing just like they do now. Back when I joined this site we used to have some really good civilized threads. Now a lot of those guys don’t even post here anymore, and I hate that.

I do call, Email, pm Etc the other guys, but I feel it would be nice to include other business owners in those conversations. The way to choose “who” is simple, Trade references. It’s how all of us Business owners have to operate now. If there is a fee to join that section that’s ok also. The only guys I see having a problem with it are the guys that don’t own a business. That kind of proves my point.
Don asked for ideas, this was one of mine. Others also agree. It’s Don’s choice weather he wants to do it or not. Depending on how it’s done, (if it’s done) it could be invisible to the public anyway and no one will even know the section exists.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Mentally Impaired wrote:
RW TECH wrote:I agree with this and it would be my suggestion as well. Charge each of us 5-bucks or whatever and require proof of a registered business (i.e.-yellow pages ad or articles of incorporation).
See I disagree, if you want to vent & talk about a customer in private that's fine, use your email, phone, etc.. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this great place get started to provide an OPEN area for EVERYBODY to discuss things & exchange ideas. There is already too much closed door, back room, super double secret stuff out there. It'd be a shame to see SpeedTalk turn into one more of those places.

In closing, I haven't read the other posts & I can definitely understand k-star being upset about out of pocket for $100 but I'd bet he has at least 1 customer for life now.
The intent of a business-only section isn't to gripe about customers, and like it or not there are things that will benefit business owners/service providers that absolutely shouldn't be "open forum". One example I can think of is legal actions against a deadbeat customer who is refusing to pay a bill. Another could be shop-equipment related, where the question is specific to a given piece of equipment.

Does everyone in the entire world need to know about those two examples? Definitely not. A guy who is running a shop and/or providing those types of services can benefit greatly from input from other business owners though.

Otherwise, engine tech should always be open forum.
stilhead

forum upgrades

Post by stilhead »

Already the best racing forum on the internet, keep up the good work. Maybe improve the search engine, if anything.
Thanks
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

Thank you. The quick edit is AWESOME, vs waiting.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Forum Upgrade Ideas

Post by speedtalk »

Forum upgraded. Post problems here
viewforum.php?f=26