No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

crazyman
Expert
Expert

Mutts.

Post by crazyman »

I went to pick up a beagle mix dog yesterday, this one, from a shelter,
and he was gone, two days prior to me going to the shelter to buy him. It broke my heart, until I realized someone needed him more than me, or else he would have been there.

Why are mutts, from a shelter, almost as expensive as a purebred? I remember when a mutt was free.

Waiting until after Christmas, to look again. I really want a beagle mix. One that looks like my teen years dog, like him. Anyone close to Chicago have one in a male? Why a male? They don't seem to bark as much.
Koolaid
Post by Koolaid »

If you are willing to do some driving:

Check out petfinder.com. I'm in southwest Michigan, about 2 hours from Chicago, but their are quite a few pets in shelters around here and the South Bend area. You could use zipcode 49085 to search the St Joseph Michigan area, 49031 to search the Cassopolis Michigan shelter, and 46617 to search the South Bend Indiana area. Just a thought.
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Re: Mutts.

Post by Barbapapa »

crazyman wrote: They don't seem to bark as much.
Beagles are Hounds, not really the dog to seek out if you're not big into barking.

I bet you could go to the shelter whenever you're ready and find something that will be great!
Mike S.
s/c 266
Pro
Pro

Post by s/c 266 »

regarding the expense comment. I know to chip a dog/cat and get the all the shots it cost some cash. What are you calling as expensive in terms of $$$?
Paul
Adv Et Dragracer
Everett#2390

Post by Everett#2390 »

Shelters, whether ran by the city or private, operate from a limited budget, not high up on the food chain, and donations.

You could be paying for any medical treatment the animal needed at time of rescue and maybe being 'fixed.'

Rescued animals remember who rescued them. I know, I have five rescued basset hounds. Neat to hear them howl.

Merry Christmas - donate a bag of food, you'll like it, and so will they.
68 Plain Jane Camaro (Rosie)/350/PG/4.11/11.90/115 mph
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

Bag of food sounds like a great idea.

Not all hounds bark. The one like him I had hardley EVER barked. I guess it's all in the dog's personality, which you can usually tell right away.

Expensive for a dog to me is between $150 - $250. I know I've seen some AKC purebreds (random breeds) run about $300 - $1000.

I think I really will find the perfect dog, if I wait until after Christmas, due to heavy holiday pet shopping.
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

I have a 95 pound Great Dane and Black Lab mix that was rescued from the pound. Over $1000.00 in vet bills later he's finally healthy! He's easily one of the best dogs I've ever had and is worth every penny of what was spent on him. I consider myself very fortunate to have such a good dog.

My next dog will come from the pound just like the one I have now. I think the dogs in the pound are the ones most in need of love, care, and good homes. They are all too often neglected, abused, and in poor health just because people can't see fit to give them basic care and love. :evil:

There's nothing like the unconditional love and loyalty of a dog! CJ
Arguing with someone on the Internet is like participating in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you are still retarded!
barnym17
Guru
Guru
Post by barnym17 »

It's about time for me to adopt, my little best buddy lost to cancer last spring.We got her when she was 4 weeks old kids in the neighborhood found her in a Bud 12 pack box in a parking lot and brought her to us cause they knew we loved dogs.Naturualy she was named louie after the bud lizard.I really miss that pup every where I went she was with me, loved going to the garage to work on my junk.Most times when getting from the pound you pay for spay and nueter that is why they cost a little.