Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

crazyman
Expert
Expert

Does anyone have a really hot kiln?

Post by crazyman »

In the early 1980s, Toyota researched production of an adiabatic ceramic engine which can run at a temperature of over 6000 °F (3300 °C)

So, ceramic. 6000 F.
Platinum 3214.9 F.
Palladium 2830.82 F.

Scrap cats are selling like hotcakes here.
(I'm sharing)
http://business.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_n ... acat=29402

eBay, catergories, business and industrial, metals and alloys, catalytic.

It seems the foriegn ones have the highest platinum content.

If we could melt these down ourselves, instead of using chemicals to remove the metals, we would get like a grand a cat, minus the heat required to melt the metals.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Unfortunately it doesn't help in recovery that the precious metals are liquid above 'X' degrees. The amounts are relatively tiny -grams not ounces. Imagine adding one drop of water to a dry sponge, then trying to extract it...

I believe the value of the precious metals in a current cat is under $100 and the recovery processes are complex and mostly secret.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

Where I read about the platinum content, I can't recall the link.

But, they did say about the time cats were mandatory, the price of a car jumped by about 2-3 thousand.

It only makes sense, that an OEM cat would have WAY more platinum in it than an aftermarket cat, as the OEM would have to last the warranty, plus the add on warranties available.

If they include the cost of the platinum into the purchase price, it is like dust. All in the big picture.

There has to be a better way to get the precious metals out than what is available by googling (chemicals), both in cost, and environmentally.

Side note... Did you know that dried apricots are dried using sulfuric acid? How about gelatin being derived from ground up bones, using hydrochloric acid? Gross, huh. More info in the History channel's Modern Marvels episode "acid".

Chemicals suck.