Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

PWMAX
Pro
Pro

NO! China made Seat and guide knockoff

Post by PWMAX »

I was searching around on google for seat and guide machines, came across this. It looks like a Sedi knock off. There is actualy 2 models available, one more like a vgs style, and one like a Serdi. Don't know the pricing. I do know the Sunnen rep told me once that Sunnen has a China division, that makes machines for that market, and they don;t come here. He also said they weren't as good.

Sorry, don't know how to do links, if you want to see it, do a google search, and type in Chinese seat and guide machines. I wasn;t searching for chinese seat and guide machines, but thats how it comes up right away. Anyone see those?

Frank
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

China AND India are making all kinds of knock-off equipment.

However, American shops have been buying and using imported equipment for many, many years.
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

I realize some of it comes from India, Italy, france etc, just like anything else these days, WHAT is made here, not much

Frank
kenny2

Post by kenny2 »

ill tell ya what's made here. A BIG MESS!!
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

guys, why is everyone doing like this just popped up over night?

it has been going on since decades and everyone doing the weekendly pilgrimage to Walmart or any other Superstore was helping their case. So I can not understand the sudden uproar, everyone who did not imagine this coming must have been at least a portion of the 3 monkeys, you know, don't see, don't hear and don't want to believe.............
proengines

Post by proengines »

I'd be interested in trying one of these Chinese Serdi copies. I know the price on one is around AU$20,000 shipped. Given that so many other machines are made there, including most of the turret mills people are using for seat and guide machines, it would be interesting to see what they cut like.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I recently seen a knock off of a Rottler Boring machine.
It bored straight and round and fast as well.
As mentioned before they have been building machines for years but they are only getting better to ther point where N/American and German ect machinery is becoming a thing of the past.

Don't want to sound like I am bashing anyone here but after seeing a demo for 15K less for a non production shop it would be money well spent.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
proengines

Post by proengines »

I just had a look at one of the websites selling these and other machines and in all honesty, if I was Serdi, Sunnen, AMC or other companies selling engine shop machines I'd be speaking to a lawyer. Take a look yourself at http://www.sjmc.com.cn/en/

As a consumer though, if you can buy a machine that will do the same job at half the price, it's pretty tempting. I've used a lathe identical to one on that website and sad to say but it is pretty much comparable to my Colchester and the Chinese one is almost 10 years old in a workshop environment.

I've got no doubt that someone is missing out here but I'm not sure if it's the buyer. A machinery dealer in Argentina is selling the fake Serdi's and has apparently had no bad reports. I'm just put of because obviously you have no support, not sure on spare parts (if it's anything like a Chinese Bridgeport clone parts will probably interchange though).

One question, of the CNC head porting setups around, how many of them are based on Chinese machines?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I did check out that site and the cyl. boring machine was the same as the demo. unit I seen run.
Some of that stuff is probally good but as mentioned customer support would be lacking and parts also an issue.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Funny, they claim to have improved the serdi knock-off Machine.
Features
Valve seats boring machine with high availability meets the requirements of boring, reaming and cutting machining for high accuracy valve guides and valve seats. Light boring head of patent-based design is equipped with triple air flotation device, self-centering system and combined motor shaft. Designed specially for repairing small-sized engine and compound-cylinder engine used on motorcycle and automobile.Meet the requirements of high precision machining for valve guides with a small diameter of 3mm.

·With distinctive characteristics of this new type machines that can save 30% cutting force during machining process. Ensure the angle accuracy of compound angle tool within a range of ±0.5 .
·Machining capacity: 16mm/0.63" - 50mm/1.97" .
·Modernized design of standard machine body to agree with the improved rigidity. Dynamic and static features are optimized by computer to provide the most advanced machining process.
·Improved lighting system.
·Pneumatic clamping of table bars.
·Fully integrated spindle motor: Infinitely variable spindle speed, 100 to 1200 RPM, with sensorless Vector Flux Control in open loop (extremely broad torque ratings from lowest RPM.).
·Lightweight workhead: built-in spindle motor and triple air-float automatic centering system.Minimal workhead inertia and maximal floatation for unmatched centering sensitivity.
·High-quality three color saturation painting.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

The only USA machine is probably T&S.

Lets face it, when it gets to half-price, the "buy American" goes out the window.
proengines

Post by proengines »

Keith Morganstein wrote:The only USA machine is probably T&S.

Lets face it, when it gets to half-price, the "buy American" goes out the window.
Especially for us who live in Australia Keith. The last seat and guide machine made here was the Repco RVR in the late 80's. They were great machines but are aging some now, I still use mine as well as a Serdi but could do with an upgrade.
Larry Widmer
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Larry Widmer »

I'm wondering if Serdi is getting their components from China.... I've seen a lot of Chinese machinery that's better than my Serid 4.0.
proengines

Post by proengines »

A little off topic but has anyone ever seen an IDL CNC seat/guide machine?

I've seen the IDL's that look like a retarded drill press but never a cnc one. There are some advertised for sale at a machinery dealer here, I'm just interested to know what they are like?

Cheers,
Greg
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

The T&S machine is assembled in the US (Texas) I think.
Componets are made and machined in Mexico.