NASCAR jumps into bed with Al Gore

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

williamsmotowerx wrote:Look at what happens to a business if they don't adapt?

What is the argument here, that you don't want to be told what to do... or you don't want the historic rumrunners to change their roots?

If you don't want to be told that the sport needs to change be pro-active.. look around you before they sneak up and take your wallet.
Well NASCAR has an image just like F1, NHRA, DIRT, WoO etc. etc. People go to see a NASCAR race to see a NASCAR race, not something else.

There's nothing wrong with adapting and changing things, if they need to be changed, you just have to carefully consider why you are adapting/changing and what the driving forces are. One needs to decide whether a business is to be run by outside forces or by your own management team and whether you have a vision to follow or will you just be a ^&*(* and take money anywhere you can. There are plenty of companies that will do the latter, because the former is too difficult. Personally I have no use for the latter.

Do you think Daytona would be made more interesting by removing the restrictor plates or by adding fuel injection and keeping the restrictor plates? We know which one will cost more, a lot more, and which one will be faster, a lot faster.

If there is a reason to use fuel injection it should be a performance related reason not a Green reason nor a "lets do it because the OEMS do it" reason. Same idea for roller cams, 4V per cylinder etc. etc. If there is a performance benefit to something and more performance is needed then do it.

NASCAR is barely about racing anymore, its about advertising, interviews, commentators and poster boys. Maybe they should get back to business and stop alienating some of the hardcore fans, you know, the ones they can count on during a recession to actually show up to watch races or even just watch the races on TV.
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

redcorvette wrote:Burning one gallon of gasoline produces about 20 lbs of CO2. You could reduce greenhouse gas production more by giving all the spectators Beano so they fart less than by changing the fuel economy of the cars.
And how much does a gallon of say JP4 produce? You know good ole Al Gores jet he flys around in. Well and all the other turbines too.
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

CamKing wrote:
williamsmotowerx wrote:I thought racing was about technology? Isn't going green a new technology?
No.
Going Green is a religion.
"Green" is good.
"Non-Green" is evil.
100's of thousands of birds are killed every year by wind turbines, but since wind turbines are "Green", it's OK.
An oil company had 26 birds die in their oil refineries in one year, and the evil oil company was fined around $200,000.

Going Green is a religion, and no matter what NASCAR does, it will never be green enough for the followers of the Green movement. They won't be happy until Auto Racing is gone. Large gatherings of people are "non-green", and they won't be tolerated.

NASCAR is following the lead of all these companies trying to make the green followers happy, just to make a quick buck.
It's like the liberals that just want to give in to the Islamic fundamentalists, in hope they'll leave them alone.

The fact is, NASCAR and most every form of racing are all about making engines more efficient. That how you win. The guy that gets a couple more laps on a tank of fuel, wins the race. There are many racing companies, mine included, that use their knowledge gained in racing to help reduce emissions, and increase efficiency on street engines.
My company alone has worked with UNLV on setting a vehicle mileage record, worked with the department of Energy on high efficiency steady state engines, and produced cams for a prototype diesel hybrid for one of the truck manufacturers. Too bad none of this matter to the followers of the green movement. I'm in racing, and I'm evil. Nothing will change that, and nothing NASCAR does will change that either.
Going Green is a religion
Right on.
And there is a certain bunch (hmmm democraps seem to love this enviro lie )that is forcing this propaganda down our throats, and the end game is to enslave us more. Many climate scientists now come out and say its a farce and and agenda a potentially very expensive one as well, for us working folks anyway.
Yes global warming and climate change is the hugest lie of the ages, the ultimate deception, and will enslave all humanity, well unless your one of the uppity ups that gets to pull the puppet strings. :lol:
Larry Widmer
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Larry Widmer »

All of you who are whining will go the way of the dynosaurs. Are you going to tell me that none of you drive vehicles that have electronic engine management? How about unleaded fuel?
Has unleaded fuel made Nascar less spectator-friendly. All of you act like this is the end of the world, but it's not...unless of course, you don't learn to adapt.
The world is changing. I agree that what we do has no effect on global warming, but it is perceived to, and there are a lot more people who believe it than there are auto enthusiast's.
So, you have a choice and it's pretty simple....either bail water, or go down with the ship.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Larry Widmer wrote:and there are a lot more people who believe it than there are auto enthusiast's.
Actually, the last poll I read said over half of american's don't believe in man-made global warming.
The follower of the green movement are not NASCAR fans, and no matter what NASCAR does, they never will be. The IRL tried jumping on the green bandwagon. They went to Ethenol, and promoted their clean burning race cars, yet they didn't pick up any fans. NASCAR could run 43 Prius's in next year's Daytona 500, and it won't add one new fan. Greenies don't like racing. They don't like cars. They want everyone to live in big city condo's and walk or ride trains to work.
To the greenies, NASCAR will always be evil. Kissing the greenies arse, won't change that.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Larry Widmer
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Larry Widmer »

It doesn't matter what the polls say. Look at the facts for God's sake. All the manufacturers are going to hybrid technology until all electric vehicles are phased in.
The ship (internal combustion engines) is sinking. As I said before, you can bail and slow the sinking process, or choose not to, and hasten it.
Take off your blinders. None of us have any control of the situation, so make the best of it.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Larry Widmer wrote:It doesn't matter what the polls say. Look at the facts for God's sake. All the manufacturers are going to hybrid technology until all electric vehicles are phased in.
The ship (internal combustion engines) is sinking. As I said before, you can bail and slow the sinking process, or choose not to, and hasten it.
Take off your blinders. None of us have any control of the situation, so make the best of it.
Are you serious?
Electric Vehicles need a battery technology that is decades away.
The manufacturers make hybrids so they can sell more SUV's.
The current government regulations require the manufacturer's production line get a given average MPG. They give milage credits to the hybrids and flex fuel cars. These credits allow the manufacturers to produce the cars that american's are actually buying (SUV's, Full size trucks, Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers). How many Hybrids do you think they would sell, if the government was'nt subsidising them?
Last edited by CamKing on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
2.2=8
Pro
Pro

Post by 2.2=8 »

Me thinks the argument will be moot, after government takes over health care thousands of us sportsman racers will not be able to afford to race.
After all, racing is dangerous, superfluous, and socially useless. MUST BE BANNED-injuries cost the Gov. too much. Ban everything that could be deemed dangerous, Or tax the behavior till very few can afford to participate.
There will be much addoo over what is and is not socially acceptable, and the bureaucrats will make the call.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Bailing water is good, just not bailing it into the ship.

Perhaps we should all start learning the Chinese language now, so that we can get a headstart on adapting to the future. :roll:
Larry Widmer
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Larry Widmer »

I'm quite serious. I've always thought of most of you as being smart people. Are you telling me that your blinders are so large that you can't see? Unfortunately, none of us are living in the "little" world we used to....and we never will again.
If all of you who think this way were to band together and march....on what I don't know...do you really think your numbers are significant enough to even make the news ( even Fox News)?
It doesn't matter what party is in control of Washington on this matter. We are headed down this path, like it or not.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Larry Widmer wrote:I'm quite serious. I've always thought of most of you as being smart people. Are you telling me that your blinders are so large that you can't see? Unfortunately, none of us are living in the "little" world we used to....and we never will again.
If all of you who think this way were to band together and march....on what I don't know...do you really think your numbers are significant enough to even make the news ( even Fox News)?
It doesn't matter what party is in control of Washington on this matter. We are headed down this path, like it or not.
I think most people can see the writing on the wall, its not just racing, lots of things are being forced upon people that shouldn't be. On the otherhand there are some special interest groups that seem to have no problem getting their way, over time at least. Freedoms are being lost every day for no good reason, and new ones are being handed out to specific factions. So does one go with the flow, someone else's flow, or make an effort to stop the nonsense? Little by little freedom of choice is being lost. Not the freedom of choice in buying things on ebay, but the kind that matters, the kind that people before us had and we have lost or are losing.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Larry Widmer wrote: If all of you who think this way were to band together and march....on what I don't know...do you really think your numbers are significant enough to even make the news .
Over half of americans do not believe in man made global warming, so yes the numbers are significant. Just because ABC, NBC, and CBS won't show the masses of americans that are fed up with this government, doesn't make thwem any less significant.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Larry Widmer
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Larry Widmer »

How many of us didn't care for emissions laws? Despite all the complaints, they are reality.
You are never going to get enough emails, phone calls, letters, etc from all of those who don't believe in global warming to change a thing. Most people are too apathetic to do make any noise on the subject.....and even if you did manage to get half the country on the band wagon, it's still not going to change the course that's charted for internal combustion engines in cars...
They are going away, it's as inevitable as the nose on your face.
Many of you are like a bunch of ostriches with your heads buried in the sand. You can choose to continue complaining to each other (underground), or figure out how to work with the new rules and prosper.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

I don't know about the others, but I certainly have no intentions of ever working with battery or fuel cell cars. IC engines will go away, but hopefully after I'm dead. If before then, then I will prosper at something else, something interesting.
A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

If Nascar so decides to make a total switch to all battery powered cars fine (of course it would be the death of the sport completely), what I do not want to see is our own government mandating it with this fabricated global warming BS. The US government keeps using "safety" to, one by one, take away our freedoms on a daily basis. We the people are the one held responsible for allowing them to do so.
This country has the most freedoms in the world (at great personal cost to our forefathers before us), and our citizens are the first ones to give them away without even a fight. Mostly all in return for the false sense of security "safety" again. We all seem to forget why we told our last govt to leave or die.

ARN
www.atwoodperformance.com