Racing for pink slips

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

vinmann
Racing for pink slips

Post by vinmann »

People talked about it. But i never saw, nor knew anyone that won or lost a car in a street race. (other than on TV)

Have any of you participated in or witnessed a (street)race where ownership papers (and possession) were handed over?
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Re: Racing for pink slips

Post by falcongeorge »

vinmann wrote:People talked about it. But i never saw, nor knew anyone that won or lost a car in a street race. (other than on TV)

Have any of you participated in or witnessed a (street)race where ownership papers (and possession) were handed over?
No, never, and in the days of my youth, I used to race for money a fair bit. Honestly, never even heard what I would consider a reliable anecdote. I think its pretty much BS. When we heard a guy start talking about "running for pinks" in the circles I traveled in, he would immediately be written off as a wanna-be.
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

I've always thought that in all of history, nobody ever handed over their car to someone after losing a street race. Never.

Heck, you're lucky to have merely your win acknowledged and not see the famous "loser fly by" after you've slowed. :wink:
Mike S.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Usually this is the scenario where I have seen "running for pinks" turn up. Usually, "Joe Poser" turns into the wrong parking lot in his "800hp" blown pro-streeter, and is immediately spotted as a "duck". So some guy will wait till a little crowd gathers, & Joe starts talking about how fast his "800hp" blown pro-streeter is. Then he will challenge "Joe" to a money run. "Joe" immediately realizes he is in WAY over his head because he knows his car is a pig, but he doesnt want to lose face by getting his "800hp" butt kicked, so he will spout off, "Oh, I only race for pinks", and then beat a hasty retreat asap.

I could actually name some local car owners, whose cars got ink in various magazines back in the eighties, whom I have actually witnessed run this gambit, but I wont name names. If any of them are lurking(which I doubt), they already know who they are.... :P
k-star
Guru
Guru

pinks

Post by k-star »

Back in my day I did alot of racing for cash, but never titles. I always thought that would be one of the dumbest things you could have done. Usually the big mouth that wanted to run for titles had a slow car and that was his poker play.

I do remember 10 or so years ago when the street racing deal was big in NY, NJ etc they would bet 5 or 10k on a race. You can only guess where all that money came from.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

Come to think of it, I've owned a bunch of cars and several trucks in my 57 years and can't remember any of them ever having a title that was pink! :? My Dad did have a pink Rambler station wagon once.... Nobody ever asked him to race it. I just think they all wanted to see it leave the area. Especially me. Try driving that thing around cruising.:oops:
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

But '57 Rambler had fully-reclining front seats, which could come in very handy.
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

ZIGGY wrote:But '57 Rambler had fully-reclining front seats, which could come in very handy.
But the only female that was willing to ride in that thing besides my family was the Merill Norm make up lady and she was about 50. :x
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Yeah, the family car my buddy often drove was two-tone green with plaid Western Auto seat covers. Was a stoplight drags killer though, with a big six and a God-awful low rear end ratio that came with overdrive equiped cars.
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

My apologies ahead of time to VINMANN, Didn't intend to hijack this thread but it's a lazy Sunday morning. Meanwhile back at the ranch.......

Was a pink slip ever pink in the first place?
Most of the guys that I knew back then didn't even have a title or slip to their ride. If they did they sure wouldn't risk it on a bet. That is unless they got Reeeeally Drunk. And you know that never happened!
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

You guys have never been to Brotherhood way! :lol: :lol:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Grumps

Post by Grumps »

Out here on the left coast years back the pinks were in fact on a pink background paper.
But why would I want a car slooower than the one I got????
Later, Frank
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Grumps wrote:But why would I want a car slooower than the one I got????
Economics. You sell it to a guy with an even slower car, so you can make your own even faster... :wink:
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
Shaffy
Re: pinks

Post by Shaffy »

k-star wrote:Back in my day I did alot of racing for cash, but never titles. I always thought that would be one of the dumbest things you could have done. Usually the big mouth that wanted to run for titles had a slow car and that was his poker play.

I do remember 10 or so years ago when the street racing deal was big in NY, NJ etc they would bet 5 or 10k on a race. You can only guess where all that money came from.

Keith
That's still happening up there..
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/Oldsmoduck/AtcoAMI.jpg[/img]
Shaffy
Post by Shaffy »

Shopboss wrote:My apologies ahead of time to VINMANN, Didn't intend to hijack this thread but it's a lazy Sunday morning. Meanwhile back at the ranch.......

Was a pink slip ever pink in the first place?
Most of the guys that I knew back then didn't even have a title or slip to their ride. If they did they sure wouldn't risk it on a bet. That is unless they got Reeeeally Drunk. And you know that never happened!
The temporary registration you get in PA is a thin pink peice of paper until you actually get your title in the mail..
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/Oldsmoduck/AtcoAMI.jpg[/img]