Bought a new camshaft - must be a new design for BBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckracer

Bought a new camshaft - must be a new design for BBC

Post by Truckracer »

Easier to install if they are two piece..
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

Bummer!

Even cast cams take a lot to snap them if they are properly made.

I hope there was more stuff in that box and especially more firm packing material.

The "Fragile" warning was inside, not on the outside of the carton. Evidently the carrier x-rayed, found the "Fragile" and then mishandled it. :)

FWIW, I don't recall seeing "FRAGILE" (fra-GEE-lee) labels on cam boxes. What brand?

Cigar if you immediately recognize the source for the "fra-GEE-lee" pronounciation.

Jon
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
Truckracer

Post by Truckracer »

In the box with the cam was some intake gaskets, bottle of cam break in lube and the lifters. Every thing was on the bottom of the box with those liitle air pillows stuffed in the top to take up the slack...
It's a Summit brand cam..
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

Truckracer wrote:In the box with the cam was some intake gaskets, bottle of cam break in lube and the lifters. Every thing was on the bottom of the box with those liitle air pillows stuffed in the top to take up the slack...
It's a Summit brand cam..
I was hoping there weren't air pilows in there. They suck for packing dense parts. We've seen heads packed with air pillows that needed hundreds of $ worth of welding and machining to fix the damage from shipping. You might just as well tie a tag to the casting and not even pack it in a box. At least they wouldn't be banging into each other. Cams in a cam box and no other packing usually get thru unscathed.

I hope it wasn't a Summit shipment but the paperwork looks familiar.

Even in a recession it's hard to find good workers!

Jon
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
stank468

Post by stank468 »

" A Christmas Story "
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

You'd think Summit would take it out of the Camshaft Machine Company box, and re-box it. That's the box the cam was shipped to Summit in. They're not the best quality.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
fastvette
Expert
Expert

Post by fastvette »

CamKing wrote:They're not the best quality.
As in the core or the grind job?

Randy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIITBanJDs
http://www.harshmanauto.com
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

fastvette wrote:
CamKing wrote:They're not the best quality.
As in the core or the grind job?

Randy
Sorry,

The Box is not of the best quality.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

stank468 wrote:" A Christmas Story "
Of course!
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Shipping cam and lifter kits can be an adventure.

Just think how far you can throw a camshaft "javelin style" into a semi-trailer or UPS truck. That cam is a battering ram and will try bust out of the box.

I sold hundreds of cam kits over a two year period (my apologies to the real cam guys) Packaging was a big issue as I did not have much control over shipping materials.

The best the shipper could do with materials on hand was tape and reinforce the cam box, package the lifters in boxes of four, then pack the triangular style UPS box with the processed cardbord packing. There was still too much damage.

Mike Jones knows how to pack a cam and lifters. His packaging looks very tough.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Re: Bought a new camshaft - must be a new design for BBC

Post by enigma57 »

Truckracer wrote:Easier to install if they are two piece..
:shock: Ouch! UPS really had to put a hurtin' on that box to do damage like that, Truckracer! Hope they make it right for you and without your having to wait months for a resolution.

The only cam I ever busted was my own fault. 1967 - Home on leave, partied too much, missed a shift in my '57 Ford and floated the valves in a 292 Y-block engine whilst racing my buddy, who had a '58 Chevy with the 348 tri-power engine.

Got the jump on him off the line. I was pulling him half a car length. Wound her up too tight. Blew the 1 - 2 shift. Put a valve through a piston and broke the cam in half right behind the 2nd lobe. Yea verily...... It sucketh much! Image

Best regards,

Harry
Last edited by enigma57 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

They are usually just bent .010 when I get them, not actually broken!!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Mike Jones knows how to pack a cam and lifters. His packaging looks very tough.
Yet UPS still breaks 2 or 3 a year for me. :x

The roller cams just get bent, but it really doesn't take much to break a cast iron cam.
I just gave a demonstration for a guy that work for me. We needed to send a piece of a cast cam to a metallurgist, and he was going to saw it.
I took the cam, held it straight out at arms length, and dropped it. Presto, a nice clean break right after the second journal.

I had a customer that was so tired of UPS bending and breaking his cams, he sent me a wooden box he made just for shipping his cams.
I like the 6" tubes with the foam inserts that Comp Cams uses. They're a little much for the average cam, but I bet they don't break any.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

As an aside to this, usually when you straighten them there is some base circle run-out. I have been told that this can affect idle quality.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

CamKing wrote: I had a customer that was so tired of UPS bending and breaking his cams, he sent me a wooden box he made just for shipping his cams.
I like the 6" tubes with the foam inserts that Comp Cams uses. They're a little much for the average cam, but I bet they don't break any.
Caterpillar uses a cardboard and wood combination that works well. Two sides and the ends are wood, the two other sides are heavy cardboard stapled on.