Post by robert1 »

I know it's a paved track but what the heck. 10.21 @ 132

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90PdrRc7o38
governor
Expert
Expert

hell ya!!!

Post by governor »

I have been at this show racing a mod the last 2 years and all I can say is wow. Curt Spaulding broke his own record by almost 1/2 a second vs last years time.

Those who race know how hard it can be to find 1/10th, yet he beat the old record by almost 1/2 a sec.

As you will notice, this track has a wall all the way around inside and out. Any little mistake would be real bad @ 132 mph average.

This is a run what you brung show with only 1 rule, all cars going for the record must be a min 96" wheel base. His time is way faster than a winged sprint car on this track.

Next year they will most likely go even faster, as there are plans for more rubber.

Gov

http://www.shorttrackthunder.com/viewto ... f=2&t=9921
a passion for racing
Fairmont GT

Post by Fairmont GT »

WOW :!: :!: :!:

Warren
DCK
Expert
Expert

Post by DCK »

Man! That's moving. Looks unreal as I'm not familiar with this racing. Damn good driving!
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

I'll bet if Andy Bozell would've had Jeff run the car they'd own that record right now. :)
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

I didn't know they still ran the latemodels with the big side air-dam any more. The use to run thein out in Arizona, but I haven't sen them in years.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

CamKing wrote:I didn't know they still ran the latemodels with the big side air-dam any more. The use to run thein out in Arizona, but I haven't sen them in years.
Only for special shows. The rest of the time the same cars from that video are wearing 8" wide DOT's and don't have side boards.
Koolaid
Post by Koolaid »

8" wide DOT's - huh?

The dirt cars were all regular UMP competitors - normally they run no sideboard, a roof, and 14" Hoosier LM20's, 30's, or 40's at UMP tracks.

The lone asphalt car does not regularly compete at any track - the normal LM tire at Kalamazoo Speedway is a Hoosier 970 which is a treaded 9" non-dot race tire.
ALKYAL
Expert
Expert

WORLD record?

Post by ALKYAL »

I agree the time and speed were quite impressive. Faster than a sprint car-yes. A sprint car in NORMAL race trim goes 12.5 according to those who have raced there. It may be a track record for Kalamazoo Speedway, but not a World record. Dont think it is certified to be .375 miles long or the clocks certified by FIA. It was fast non the less.
Some people are so stupid that they dont even know it! - by a famous Hillbilly
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Koolaid wrote:8" wide DOT's - huh?

The dirt cars were all regular UMP competitors - normally they run no sideboard, a roof, and 14" Hoosier LM20's, 30's, or 40's at UMP tracks.

The lone asphalt car does not regularly compete at any track - the normal LM tire at Kalamazoo Speedway is a Hoosier 970 which is a treaded 9" non-dot race tire.
Thanks for the correction of 1" tire width & DOT vs. not. Regardless the treaded tire knocked off about a full second per lap for the late models when they instituted the rule from slicks.

My comments were about the cars that normally run at KaZoo. Andy Bozell was there & I think he won the late model championship at KaZoo this year. Was he the only asphalt car there? He's a regular competitor there.
Koolaid
Post by Koolaid »

You are welcome, TR has dipped into the 12.5's on treaded 970's this year so they definitely a bit different from 8" DOT tires that grace public streets. Kind of like me saying 3035's and top fuel dragster slicks are the same - both round and rubber, but not much beyond that.

No Andy did not win the late model championship this year, he came close as he finished 2nd.

Andy and Curt are both regular competitors at Kalamazoo, but neither car was a Kalamazoo car. Only 4 cars took part in the special qualifying show. Curt was in one of the three dirt latemodels, Andy was in a traditional asphalt chassis with an outlaw body (the #70 Foote Speedster). In the A feature Andy dominated lapping up to 3rd or 4th.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. It should be a great show in 2010 - sounds like already plans for a rematch between the two. www.kalamazoospeedway.com - in case anyone is interested in seeing it in person next year!
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Koolaid wrote:You are welcome, TR has dipped into the 12.5's on treaded 970's this year so they definitely a bit different from 8" DOT tires that grace public streets. Kind of like me saying 3035's and top fuel dragster slicks are the same - both round and rubber, but not much beyond that.

No Andy did not win the late model championship this year, he came close as he finished 2nd.

Andy and Curt are both regular competitors at Kalamazoo, but neither car was a Kalamazoo car. Only 4 cars took part in the special qualifying show. Curt was in one of the three dirt latemodels, Andy was in a traditional asphalt chassis with an outlaw body (the #70 Foote Speedster). In the A feature Andy dominated lapping up to 3rd or 4th.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. It should be a great show in 2010 - sounds like already plans for a rematch between the two. www.kalamazoospeedway.com - in case anyone is interested in seeing it in person next year!
Thanks for the details.

I wish I could've made it out there for that, and I really wish Jeff B. was in one of the two fast cars to see what would've happened then.

My favorite Jeff Bozell quote:

"Brakes? I hate brakes, they slow the car down!"
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

I guess I'm one of the very few left that would like to see a return of the open rules to dirt late model racing. Tires included. It would definitly be interesting with the power being made today versus what was made 30 years ago.