2009 EngineMasters, What's new?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

Ted wrote:Guys. After reading through some of the posts, my entry sounds like a knife that’s being brought to a gun fight. 292 Y-Block Ford for those of you that don’t know. But looking forward to a fun time and meeting many of you that I haven’t been able to put a face to the name up until now.
Ted Eaton
Eaton Balancing
I wouldn't worry I am bringing a stone to a gun fight. Hail Mary away. I am trying different things hope it works.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
dan miller

Post by dan miller »

Hello All

I believe that we have a (more or less) healthy engine. We installed some stout springs (300+ on the seat 800+ over the nose) that we had on a customers engine. Not much chance of float with these, and they’re new, so should not break. Push rods are probably in awe. And hemorrhaging.

We got the engine running, and wanted to do some tuning, but it has 99 pulls on it, and we were getting antsy over wearing it out. We had been thinking of re-ringing it after the dyno sessions, but at this late date that wouldn’t have been possible.

We are still off on the tune, but the F16 emulsion tubes helped a little. The final pulls this evening were going in at high 12's/low 13's, then vacillating between mid 11's and mid 14's. Avg for the pull was 13.08 (left) and 13.07 (right). Our engine seems to prefer mid to high 14's, but it didn't make sense to work the engine hard just to put up a good number on the dyno.

We weren’t getting the tq and hp numbers that we had previously attained, but we were getting better averages, especially on three pull backups. One of our better pulls: Peak tq: 571 @ 5100, peak hp: 645 @ 6400, avg tq: 513, avg hp: 492. Our best three pull average was 2726 (in very good air).

We really struggled with the Webers. Not much technical assistance is available. Plenty of folks will sell you very expensive parts, but aside from that, you are mostly on your own. I've read several books, and am now just starting to get a clue as for jetting. We've eliminated (at least in out minds) the other variables, and we think that this lean issue is caused by one of two things: camshaft, or we are still off on the emulsion tube. We have a shorter cam, and were considering plugging it in, but this spring issue consumed all our time.

Engine is loaded in my pickup, and we’re headed to Lima on Friday.

I’m with Daryl. It’ll take 2900 points to win this thing. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it didn’t take over 2800 to get into the finals.

Danny
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

I'd sure like to have your 'per inch' numbers Dan. We're stuck in the 1.4's on torque and 1.6's for hp. Maybe the DTS gods will smile and grant us 10% up north. Back at it this afternoon.
Daryl

Revolutionary Performance and Machine
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Well we received our cam yesterday @ 3:00 p.m. after ordering it Monday @ 9:00a.m. Buggy @ CompCams we owe you one. We have made the best numbers thus far and are still only at about 2500 points. Our engine is healthy as far as the average pumpgas, through the muff's numbers go, but nowhere near where we will be next year (should we get the chance). For now we will be more than happy to make the show, complete qualifying and be amongst our peers. I am super happy with Superflow for our extremely consistent dyno and flowbench, Mobil 1 oils, and CompCams. We even have our crossing the border issues worked out ! Anyone want anything? Real Canadian bacon, beer, maple syrup, or rye? Can't wait to meet you guys and listen until my head hurts. Jesse Robinson
shannon79malibu

engine master

Post by shannon79malibu »

there crew at revolutionary performance will try some of that beer you speek of
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

Real Canadian Labatt's Ale would be really nice ... living just north of Detroit I got spoiled on it but, now that it's much more difficult to cross the border into Windsor; it's few and far between, LOL.
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

dyno broke today. I mean we made SOOOO much power that we broke the dyno today. Uh or maybe it just broke. New $1700 water pump tomorrow might make it work...
Daryl

Carroll
Pro
Pro

Post by Carroll »

Our ford says oink oink to everyone. I hope we can be a top 10 this year. We didn't get as much time on the dyno as needed.

Joe C
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:D There's no school like 'old school', Dan! Really dig those old hemis and Webers, too!.

Good luck to all,

Harry
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

rmcomprandy wrote:Real Canadian Labatt's Ale would be really nice ... living just north of Detroit I got spoiled on it but, now that it's much more difficult to cross the border into Windsor; it's few and far between, LOL.
Detroit, where you go due south to enter Canada. That makes a good bar bet...well not usually in Detroit nor Windsor. :)
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

YEP ... that's the only part of Canada which is due south of anywhere in the U.S.A.
Here's another one ... the Capital of Nevada is WEST of Los Angeles.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

And here's a couple I just thought of and then verified:

o The southernmost part of Canada (Middle Island, Ontario) is south of Dorris, the northernmost town in California.
o Parts of Alaska are west of Hawaii.
:-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
sweptvolume

Post by sweptvolume »

If the tip of Florida were to extend straight south, it would run along the western coast of equador, the most westward country in South America.
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

Don't you hate it when you work and pick up 10 foot pounds and it backs up good then you make one change and you lose it and you can't get it back?
Daryl

Dan Barton
Pro
Pro

Post by Dan Barton »

revolutionary wrote:dyno broke today. I mean we made SOOOO much power that we broke the dyno today. Uh or maybe it just broke. New $1700 water pump tomorrow might make it work...
This is why we cant have anything nice... you destroy everything in your path! We are all so glad that you left Houston, and took your destructive ways with you! LOL