2009 EngineMasters, What's new?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

Since I am trying to throw the kitchen sink at this thing. I have a question. Does anyone have any direct information of if you can gain any power going from a traditional header collector to a 4 into 1 merge collector without making any other changes? I would like to have tried this on the dyno but ran out of time.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

The short answer is YES ... however, you have to make the choke area the correct size which usually requires trying several; you can simply guess at one and maybe you'll get lucky.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I came up with a design for a variable choke before (or at least before I heard of) Burns' interchangeable venturis. I was going to stack up a pile of 1/2" thick plates (aluminum would do for short pulls) and bore a converging/diverging hole through them, say 12°/7°. By positioning the stack at the start of the collector and progressively removing them starting with the smallest, the choke size would be incrementally enlarged. Cheaper than a boxful of Burns' pieces, assuming you have the machining capability...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.