Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

miniv8
Expert
Expert

Dragracing in Iceland

Post by miniv8 »

Had a good race last weekend, Little different setting than usual as the format was 1/8 mile only and strictly heads up.

The track was resurfaced and widened halfway last spring, sits at sealevel. The track was built 1978.

Anyhow, I found a pretty good video of the action on the net and I thought I'd share it with my friends at Speedtalk.

http://vimeo.com/6366365

My dad is driving the brown volvo thats missing a frontend. He had a traffic accident in mid season, so yes its street driven.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Very nice racing action, Magnús! Really enjoyed it. Viewed it before I read your entire post. Was going to say that the Volvo bodied V8 cars are my favourites, especially the one running without front sheetmetal.

After viewing the video and reading over your entire post here, I see it is your Dad's car. Even better! :D

A friend had an older model Volvo, but similar body lines in the early '60s. As high school kids, we used to take it on high speed runs through the narrow winding roads up in the hill country here in Texas. Great memories.

We learned to drive by taking our cars to the limit...... And beyond. So we spun out on switchbacks a lot in the beginning, overcorrected in broadside skids, slid off the road backwards into a few trees and rolled it a couple of times for good measure. But that old Volvo was really solid, so once we pushed it back over onto its wheels again and got the twin SUs settled down, we'd be on our way once more. My little sister nicknamed my friend's Volvo 'Tankety-Tank', so we called his Volvo the 'Swedish Panzer'.

Best regards,

Harry