Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Re: 11.000 rpm: what would you do...

Post by Unkl Ian »

TwinTurboM3 wrote:Stroke 91 mm
91mm = 3.58"

11k is possible but very expensive.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

What would be on your list if you would like to rev 11.000 rpm?
I dont want anymore as this thread turned into a debate rather than an informative thread.
Sort of reminds me of the when the priest says, "My son, God always answers your prayers. However sometimes his answer is 'NO'".

thnx, jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
user-9613590

Post by user-9613590 »

I have a customer with -88 Civic.He wanted to do a 1,4 litre engine instead of 1,6 litre (D14A).
Well,I ported the head,made intake manifold for two sidedrafs (40 mm),customer sourced exhaust and that tiny economotor made 150 hp with slipping clutch at 9000 rpm..
Been driven this summer and running strong! Those conrods are birdbones so I just wonder how they can survey!!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Sorry to sound pessimistic but a 91mm stroke is a serious challenge above 8500rpm. To take the engine to 11000 results in a mean piston speed of 33.7m/s and over 8000G's loading on the conrod. That is a time bomb.

But if it must be done :cry: then there is a need for ultra lightweight pistons, super stiff and light wrist pin and titanium conrods. The rod bearings will also take a severe beating as will the big end of the rod.

Previous posters who have commented on the excessive piston speed are on target. At some point, methods other than rpm should be considered to make power.

But that would not be nearly as exciting.