Book is finished, thanks SpeedTalk

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

The RAS rocker arms are beefy and made from stainless steel. I don't know what their limit is but I'd bet they'll handle 1000 lb springs without too much trouble. I've never heard of anyone ever breaking one of those rocker arms or having any sort of issue with them.

RAS does not make anything other than stock offset rocker arms but they do offer both 1.50 and 1.60 ratios. I'll attach a picture of the RAS 1.60 ratio rocker arms. This is a Mopar Performance aluminum headed 505 motor on the dyno. With a street roller cam from Comp it cranked out 680 hp. Something like this should be a nice hot street motor and the stainless rocker arms will last a long time on the street.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Andy:

Just ordered a couple of your books from Amazon. Have heard good things about it. Good job.

Mike
Mike Laws Performance
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Hi Mike,

You should also have a signed copy showing up in the mail. I'm sure you'll find the carb section of the book very elementary!
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

'Elementary' is still good! Thanks for the signed copy.

Mike
Mike Laws Performance
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

I'd like to do a Holley tuning book that covers the newer carbs. As far as I know nobody has written a book that really covers the subject very well. The classic Holley books were all written before billet metering blocks existed.

Mike, maybe we need to get together and do a Holley book? Is your Dad willing to share some secrets of emulsion tube tuning? How about a couple of chapters on NASCAR carbs? I think people would buy a book like that. Include a chapter or two on E85 to capture that end of the market. And of course we would want one chapter on just how to tune a three circuit Dominator since hardly anyone seems to know that.

Maybe a chapter on setting up a pair of center squirters on a tunnel ram and another one on tuning a Dominator for street driving. Could be a fun project.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

andyf wrote:I'd like to do a Holley tuning book that covers the newer carbs. As far as I know nobody has written a book that really covers the subject very well. The classic Holley books were all written before billet metering blocks existed.

Mike, maybe we need to get together and do a Holley book? Is your Dad willing to share some secrets of emulsion tube tuning? How about a couple of chapters on NASCAR carbs? I think people would buy a book like that. Include a chapter or two on E85 to capture that end of the market. And of course we would want one chapter on just how to tune a three circuit Dominator since hardly anyone seems to know that.

Maybe a chapter on setting up a pair of center squirters on a tunnel ram and another one on tuning a Dominator for street driving. Could be a fun project.
I've been talking to Dad for several years about doing something like this and will show him your request. You're right; Nascar carbs, E85 & Dominator circuitry... would make for interesting reading. I'm not so sure about emulsion systems. It would be quite a challenge to write about emulsion tuning.

I'll check with him & let you know. Thanks.

Mike
Mike Laws Performance
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Andy F & Mike, when will this carb book be ready? If you get it finished tonite, can you send me a copy tomorrow? I've been waiting for something on the technical lines with all the secrets but it just never happened, that is , until tonite, :D :D Thanks guys, lets not waist any time.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Hey Mike,

The new carb for the next book project showed up. Sweet looking piece! We'll be on the dyno in a few weeks, I can't wait to see how she runs.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

andyf wrote:Amazon.com has them in stock and so does Summit, Jegs, etc. Or if you are a Mopar guy you can buy them at places like Mancini Racing. Other book stores might have them too, just depends if the local manager stocks the SA Design series. The local speed shop near me stocks SA Design books so that is another option.
Couple of years ago, I went into the local Lordco Auto looking for a Vizard book, & the pimply faced knob behind the counter said "you dont need that, just ask me what you need to know". I just about fell over laughing.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

andyf wrote:I'd like to do a Holley tuning book that covers the newer carbs. As far as I know nobody has written a book that really covers the subject very well. The classic Holley books were all written before billet metering blocks existed.

As Joe says, the center squirters are relatively straight-forward. How about a chapter on setting up much more common 650 dp's on a TR? I'd buy that.
nosnerd

Post by nosnerd »

the last carb books i bought were the alex walordy books...

christmas is coming...
"ignorance should be painful"