EMC contestants

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

dan miller

EMC contestants

Post by dan miller »

Are you guys getting any info/updates from EMC? How about a rule book?

I have not received a rule book. In past years, Shell supplied some fuel and a $50 fuel card. We are supposed to be advised of the running order, and some throttle information.

I've received none of the above. Maybe they don't like me.

Have any of you guys gotten anything?

Thanks, Danny
dan miller

Post by dan miller »

While you're here, what's your take on the legality of a crank triggered ignition on an engine with a distributor?

Dulich, in his section in Popular Hot Rodding, mentioned that it was acceptable. I wrote a question in this regard to "questions@enginemasters" and did not receive a reply. I sent it again several weeks ago, and still no reply.

I've been told that Wesley has taken the position that it is not legal.

Many of the aftermarket fuel injection systems have crank and/or cam triggers for fuel management and also include ignition systems.

Whatcha think?

Thanks, Danny
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

I have not seen or heard anything either. I just continue to gather parts.... This thing will probably start on the day before the contest at this rate...
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

last year it specifically stated "no crank triggers" i dont see that wording anywhere in the 09 ignition rules. i read that as its ok.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Dan. My understanding is that there will be an email going out to the EMC competitors sometime this week in regards to fuel, lodging, crew sizes, etc.

My take on the crank trigger is that it is commercially available and therefore permitted as there doesn't seem to be any rule specific against its use. But don't take my word on that as that's one of those areas that should be clarified in a written statement by the rules committee.
Ted Eaton
Carroll
Pro
Pro

Post by Carroll »

I'll try to get hold of someone this week and maybe get something in writting.

Joe C
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I have not heard anything either. I also do not have my fuel. It doesn't look like they have many contigency sponsors signed on yet either.

I am with you Barry.When my motor arrives at the competition it will still be hot from the dyno.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

I was wondering the very same things. Thanks for posting what was on my mind Danny! Obviously I haven't heard a thing and being first time competitors we are starting to sweat bullets. We had specific power goals awhile back but as we get closer and closer I'll just be happy to have it running in time. I feel better knowing we are not alone in this boat. We'll take turns rowing Randy and Eric! J.Rob
dan miller

Post by dan miller »

Thanks, all.

I certainly hope that some of these things we're seeing aren't signs that EMC is winding down. I started worrying immediately after seeing the 2009 rules, of which the first half were pure lawyer talk. The lack of sponsorship is worrisome, as is the lack of communication by the promoters.

The rules this year are - by a very long shot - the most exciting ever. There will be more to see and more to be learned than ever before.

I feel that EMC is a concept that could be nurtured into something truly outstanding. The program, pace, personnel, attitudes of competitors and promoters alike, venue, impartiality of rules enforcement, etc., are absolutely as good as it gets.

I'm not in any way whatsoever being critical, as I don't have any ideas on how to improve it. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the rules couldn't get any better.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Lima.

Danny

P.S. Don't worry, RAMM, you'll get over sweating bullets. It'll get a lot worse! lol
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

From what the rules actualy say ... as long as you use a distributor in the stock location you can also use a crank trigger to fire it.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

amended rules sent today&crank trigger ok
dan miller

Post by dan miller »

That's good news. I feel that it's a fair deal.

Here's another couple of issues that I've been thinking about.

"A participating Team’s competition running order position will be determined by Engine Masters Management. The running order will be published at the time the participating Teams are announced."

Has anyone been advised of running order?

"Electrical power will be supplied to the ignition system by a single 12-volt source, as well as a single switched (keyed) circuit fused at 20 amps. Note: Amperage available for a battery source output will be posted to competitors in a Rules Update."

Some ignition boxes require a bunch of amperage. With most MSD ignitions, there is a low current on/off switch, and high current power source wires. So, if one has such an MSD setup, there is the issue of whether to wire the water pump and ignition power source to one circuit, and the on/off switch to the other. Or, to wire the water pump separately, and jumper the on/off switch and ignition power source for the other circuit.

"A diagram detailing the requirement will be provided to all accepted EMC participants and alternates. A maximum throttle linkage pull specification (in lbs.) will also be provided."

Anybody seen this diagram?

Thanks, Danny