Moderator: Team

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Re: EMC 2015 Rules

Post by gmrocket »

Adger Smith wrote:FYI:
Jeff Dahlin has ask that I post this quote from the rules:

All potential competitors seeking to address specific suggestions for rules modifications should email questions@enginemasters.com. The rules committee will review the issue and where ruled appropriate will accommodate specific build problems with a rules modification/update to address reasonable concerns. Some engine types may not easily fit into a class, and that may just be the way it is.

Any question or suggested rules clarification or modification should itemized in the format of:

Identify specific rules issue with specific engine type.
Propose specific solution to solve listed problem.

thanks again. i have sent in a couple questions
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

just looking at heads it appears that the Indian's intake ports are further off the deck- if that matters
and with the valve angle...
Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by Bos's5.0 »

The fact any of you guys consider this a "competition" shows just how far down the hole of corporate sponsorship and advertising boot licking is acceptable.

This JOKE, is not even a former shadow of itself. There was a time it was run what you brung.. now it's run what the sponsors say you can... OH AND GM isn't allowed to have any competition.

I know.. let EDELBROCK build everyone the same engine.. and you get to adjust the spark curve... OH WOW SUCH COMPETITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOKE
JOKE
JOKE
Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter »

Agree^

It doesn't look like any current production Ford engines are even allowed by the rules.

What would happen if a "run what ya brung" coyote beat the pants off an edelbrock-headed small block chevy?

Maybe if there were some prize sponsorship from the automakers, that would be a good thing. They do sell performance parts and would gain sales from the publicity.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

It's a competition on some days on who can do the best port job on an Edelbrock Manifold
not a bad thing
Do you pick the Buicks with the bigger valves or the Pontiacs with the higher ports to start with?
I know where a set of "Available to the public" Mickey Thompson Pontiac Hemi Heads are
wonder how quick they would be declared illegal
Edelbrock says their Clevor heads allow one to make a clone Boss 302
Explain to me how you do that with a 2bbl head?
let me pull my cuffs up while I wade through it
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

anyone doing a Poly for day 2?
http://victorylibrary.com/POLY.htm
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Bos's5.0 wrote:The fact any of you guys consider this a "competition" shows just how far down the hole of corporate sponsorship and advertising boot licking is acceptable.

This JOKE, is not even a former shadow of itself. There was a time it was run what you brung.. now it's run what the sponsors say you can... OH AND GM isn't allowed to have any competition.

I know.. let EDELBROCK build everyone the same engine.. and you get to adjust the spark curve... OH WOW SUCH COMPETITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOKE
JOKE
JOKE
If you guys don't agree with any of this and think it is such a joke then why are you even here just peeing in someone else's Cherios...?

It seems like you are simply hiding behind the scenes because of your gutless attitudes about being personally in front of others putting whatever talent you think you possess on the line in national publications. Showing that you can be more than keyboard jockeys MIGHT get you some credence. Until you can show that you can find your own A$$ with both hands in this actual engine world, you will have or get absolutely no respect from any people out there in front of everybody at those EMC contests.

It just shows that you would definitely NEED an advantage with better parts because, you have no clue how to massage whatever parts you are allowed, to extract better results than the rest of anyone given the same virtual parts.

Rant complete...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

Don't hold back Randy, tell them how you really feel! It is interesting that most of the grumbling about the rules, year after year, is from people who never enter or compete. And most of the regulars just man up and adapt.

The Engine Masters has rode out some pretty severe storms! The magazines have been cutting personnel and expenses like crazy since 2007, and we are lucky to still have the EMC. The move to Hot Rod required a diverse group of classes so there would be many different engine builds for a variety of interesting articles. They couldn't write about 400" engines, all the same rules, every month. So the new establishment has to do whatever it takes to keep the EMC alive. And they have higher up people to answer to. It would have been much easier for them to keep the rules and format the same as it was, but for Hot Rod and their readers, it wasn't going to work. Kaase
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

JonKaase wrote:Don't hold back Randy, tell them how you really feel! It is interesting that most of the grumbling about the rules, year after year, is from people who never enter or compete. And most of the regulars just man up and adapt.
LOL. Truth. I think they ended up salvaging a pretty poor concept and turned it into a good rules package. The only issue I have now is that it was a little too late and I may not have the funding anymore to compete, I may have to be on the sidelines looking in :(
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I may not have the funding anymore to compete,
Speaking of funding, obviously, it's a two-part question:

Building the engine and the dyno time to perfect it is open-ended.

The second expense depends somewhat upon distance from the site, but from those who have been there and done it, what's the cost estimate to ship the engine to/from and expenses for the team to travel to/from and stay long enough to work the contest?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

PackardV8 wrote:
I may not have the funding anymore to compete,
Speaking of funding, obviously, it's a two-part question:

Building the engine and the dyno time to perfect it is open-ended.

The second expense depends somewhat upon distance from the site, but from those who have been there and done it, what's the cost estimate to ship the engine to/from and expenses for the team to travel to/from and stay long enough to work the contest?
I brought the engine with me and 3 other team members. 2300 miles round trip @ 13.5 mpg towing a rented enclosed utility trailer. Hotel rooms, meals, fuel, it all adds up really fast. Then there is the time missed from work. When you are on the dyno or at the competition or working on the engine (which is a full-commitment life changing all-consuming endeavor) you aren't bringing in any money either so it's a double whammy. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure it's a couple of grand just to go to the event by the time it's said and done.

If I can pick up some sponsorship I'll try and bring a big block Buick for the big block class this year.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

One upside to the new deal is that you only need to be present for two days - - one for setup and one to run.
No more being parked in "impound" for three days waiting for the executioner to take you out...
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Barry_R wrote:One upside to the new deal is that you only need to be present for two days - - one for setup and one to run.
No more being parked in "impound" for three days waiting for the executioner to take you out...
Hopefully ... one day to tear down makes 3. :-P
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Anyone thinking of entering the vintage class?

It looks the most interesting due to the minimal limitations of the rules.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

There are a couple of little squiggles in the rules which are going to trip up some of us. One is the SFI steel flywheel and front balance damper requirement. There is no currently available flywheel for either Studebaker or Packard which would meet the rules. For enough money, someone like Fidanza would make a custom, but that's just one example of what isn't available for the obsolete stuff.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering