circle track tuning

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

rfl28

circle track tuning

Post by rfl28 »

hello don, been invited to speed weeks this year to tune on a ow modified car and a fasttruck....as an engine builder what tuning specifics @ the race track do you concern yourself with...i.e...valve lash,carburetion, timing,etc.....truck is two-barrel carb305 flat tappet crate running to 6800 and ow car is unlimited sbc dry sump....will be my first at this level,..don't want to blow it!!! could lead to bigger and better things,..thanks for any advice and providing a great forum! bob
stand on it!
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Hey Bob, sounds like fun. Are you being invited to find power or just keep the engines from blowing up?
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
rfl28

Post by rfl28 »

actually both ,don....i didn't build either engine but the driver and owner drove a dirt car last year with one of my motors in it and was impressed...he has been talking to me on and off about possibly building both..his dad does the maintenance now but is getting old and find's it hard to get around and is actually the one that suggested me for the job...so obviously i'm looking to make a good impression...the crate motor is just that right now, but i think they have an option crate rule too , but it has to be inspected and then sealed,...anyway ,..yes , i would like to find power and keep them from grenading,...thanks,.bob
stand on it!
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

When it comes to stock car racing I view my job as first keeping them from breaking and second making them faster. In your situation I think the key is not making a bad impression - Don't let them break!

I would:

Put together a track kit that includes everything you need, tools, etc.

Read plugs for jetting, timing & heat range. Make sure to bring plenty plugs and talk to the drivers about how to do a clean cut - most don't do it right.

Get a radio to talk to the driver during practice and the race. What's the oil pressure? If it's over-kill, turn it down. What's the water temp?

Talk to the drivers after practice. How does the car feeling coming out? At what point on the track are you at full throttle? Where is the engine lacking? Does the engine pop when they lift off the throttle? Re-seal the headers.

Set the lash right after last practice or qualifying. The hotter the better when you do it. Before the race, make sure they're full of coolant.

Also talk to the drivers about hitting their shift points when coming out of the pits - late is a time killer.

Just what comes to mind for now.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
rfl28

Post by rfl28 »

sounds good don,...i'm going to print your reply out and install it in my track notebook,..i have been putting things together in my head and on paper....the guy just called me again to see if i could freshen and find some steam for his dirt track motor....so i will heed your advice and not try to be a hero and just keep them together, ...when you say a clean cut ,...say on the last practice or qualifying lap have the driver on the wood right through start/finish and kill power for good plug reading?...and how did you read plugs ? base of porcelain or at the last thread and on the ground strap? what about oil, don? what do recommend?...would like to call you before i go...got some notes i'd like to bounce off you for advice.....thanks,...bob
stand on it!
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

email sent
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin