Brake system troubleshooting 2003 Mazda 6

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Brake system troubleshooting 2003 Mazda 6

Post by travis »

I bought this ‘03 Mazda 6 a while back that had been sitting for 3-4 years. With a new battery, a fresh tank of gas and a couple of new coils (coil on plug) it runs pretty good. I drove it 60 miles home with no issues.

The car has sat here for 6 months barely being driven due to some other issues that need taken care of first. Over this 6 months the brakes went from pretty good to almost completely dead soft...it stops but not until the pedal is almost to the floor. Today I finally got to work on it...figured I would bleed the brakes first. I’ve got a good shot of fluid coming out of the drivers side front bleeder, and just a faint trickle out of the passenger side front. Brake fluid is full and no signs of leaks anywhere. I pulled off the line on the front passenger side and it is still just a weak trickle when the brake pedal is fully depressed, so it isn’t a bad caliper.

AFAIK, the master cylinder is like any other vehicle in that you have 2 lines...1 for the front brakes and 1 for the back. Logically there should be near equal flow to both front brakes. Could it still be an issue with the master cylinder or am I missing something?
underhead valve

Re: Brake system troubleshooting 2003 Mazda 6

Post by underhead valve »

Does it have antilock brakes, I have seen antilock units not pass fluid
travis
Guru
Guru
Re: Brake system troubleshooting 2003 Mazda 6

Post by travis »

Yes...4 wheel ABS