A/F/X forged spindles

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
A/F/X forged spindles

Post by pdq67 »

Does anybody make and sell a stock A/F/X forged spindle that is 1.5" taller and NOT dropped 2"s?

1st Gen Camaro type here.

pdq67
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Re: A/F/X forged spindles

Post by Kenova »

You can accomplish the same thing with your stock spindles by doing the Guldstrand Mod. (google it). It will improve your camber curve and increase your caster at the same time. I did the mod on my Nova and it made a notable improvement with no down side.
If you want a more aggressive camber curve you can add longer upper ball joints. Howe racing is a good source. Just don't get carried away and use a joint stud that is too long.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Ken,

What is too high/long an upper ball joint stud length?

My 1st Gen. Camaro car here.

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I am being told that a 1" taller upper ball joint works well.

As for forged spindles, I have four of them and if I could find an expert welder, heat-treat, and QC check, (X-Ray/Mag., etc.), shop, I would have the four sectioned to about 1.5" taller and use them. IF 1.5" taller works better than the 1" taller ball joint?

Ain't gonna happen though as I see it?

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^

Nobody knows??

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Who makes the 2" dropped forged spindles for the ones selling them?

And is the wheel, "spud", pressed or screwed in or is the spindle 100 percent a solid forging?

I ask because the stock, 2nd Gen. cast spindle, "spuds", are either threaded or pressed and welded in place and are not 1-piece forgings like the 1st Gen. spindles.

pdq67
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

Sixth item down.
http://www.ridetech.com/applications/musclecars/camaro/

If you snoop around on their site you can find a lot of info.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Kenova,

I never got past this --

http://www.ridetech.com/products/compon ... dles-pair/

and it say's they are 2" dropped as well as 1-3/4" taller!

I don't want dropped!

Anybody make AND sell 1-3/4" taller and NOT 2" dropped forged A/F/X spindles? Stock height wheel spud spindles here!

pdq67
tjz450

Post by tjz450 »

I believe no one makes what you are asking for. I have looked into these in the past. I have only found various types of extenders to increase spindle heights. I was mainly wanting to increase caster beyond what I could get by shimming the stock a-arms. Are you wanting more travel during launch.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I have Pro-Motorsports bolt-on, "Spindle Extenders", on my car now, but would rather have taller stock type un-dropped forged spindles instead.

The extenders are 1-15/16" tall. I'm thinking more along the lines of only 1-1/2" tall instead. BUT nobody seems to really know??

pdq67
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

pdq67 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 am

As for forged spindles, I have four of them and if I could find an expert welder, heat-treat, and QC check, (X-Ray/Mag., etc.), shop, I would have the four sectioned to about 1.5" taller and use them.

pdq67
I am not suggesting this it is not possible, but any welding on a non redundant critical forged suspension piece I would think most knowledgeable welders would resist attempting, other then maybe an emergency 1 time repair.

Surprised no one else has raised an eyebrow.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"As for forged spindles, I have four of them and if I could find an expert welder, heat-treat, and QC check, (X-Ray/Mag., etc.), shop, I would have the four sectioned to about 1.5" taller and use them."....

This is why I posted this!

And back when I was a kid, I had my old Blacksmith Buddy weld a dropped drag link for my '52 Willy's Aero Eagle 2-Dr HT after I put my 232" Stude V-8 in it! Front sump oil pan deal here was all.

He hade no qualms at all welding it for me and he was just a Country Welder PRO!! He made his living welding and blacksmithing so knew how to weld!

pdq67
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

The spindles on every dirt late model in the county are welded.I would look in to longer ball joints like Howe and I have used the relocated upper a arm mount.The 2 combined might work.Anytime you are changing front geometry you should look in to getting a Performance Trends style program to see what is really happening.You could help your camber curve but move your roll center to an area requiring a spring change to get balanced handling.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

RCJ,

I've done the spring change.

pdq67
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

RCJ wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:22 am The spindles on every dirt late model in the county are welded.
Agreed, but they are purpose built, designed to be welded from the start, they are not existing forgings that are being welded/cut/modified and all the potential welding induced stress risers added, and as you have noted, the late model stuff has been track tested and likely improved thru the test of time. The OP has shared few of those advantages here so far. I never said it was not possible, but it does have risks and implied the task should not be taken lightly.