Tandem Master cyl. inclination

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

german4inline
Tandem Master cyl. inclination

Post by german4inline »

Guys,
on my french sportscar I intend to use a common tandem master cylinder for the brakes, I have decided to abstain from the balance bar system due to the critical regulations within Germany.
The original master cyl. is too small in dia because I use bigger calipers. Now it´s really difficult to find a suitable 24 mm master cylinder without Anti lock system with a fixing flange what is vertical positioned ( the strange brake pedal geometrie requires this).
Now I`ve found a Peugeot master cylinder what is suitable, but now I think about positioning it tilted around the longitudinal centerline for about 30-40° or even 90° to clear the pedal linkage. Of course, my fluid reservoirs are remote on the car and on high level, connected with hoses to the mc. It has to be sure that the hoses are absolutely sure fixed to the mc, otherwise the mc will be drained…..
To my thoughts, the only thing what limits the acceptable inclination is the fluid intake and return port and the equalization ports what have to be underneath fluid level. Furthermore, there´s shouldn´t be any issues even if the cylinders works flipped over. Am I wrong, your opinions?

Thanks a lot
german4inline
Re: Tandem Master cyl. inclination

Post by german4inline »

Just once I´ve closed the posting, I thought about the bleeding issues. The mc has two fluid outlets per circuit each positioned in a 45° angel pointing to above. If I tilt the mc to the right so that one outlet is vertical , there might be no issues with bleeding. All the air should disappear by the upper outlet. Do you agree?
carmakerevive

Re: Tandem Master cyl. inclination

Post by carmakerevive »

I feel you're overthinking it.

As long as the MC's are bench bled and properly bled on the car (you can use vacuum for this) there shouldn't be a problem with how they're orientated. There is plenty of setups that use vertically mounted master cylinders, and i've even seen some that have reservoir mounted slightly below the intake port level and they've all worked fine.
"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine..."