Moderator: Team

maxracesoftware
Vendor

No Wheelie Bar Rule

Post by maxracesoftware »

What do you Guys think of the
"No Wheelie Bar Rule" ??

to me, its very dangerous !
and expensive if something like in these Videos happen.

Jay was out of Racing for months as the Mustang
destroyed Headers + Exhaust System + mounts +
dented Trunk and rear bumper area + oil pan, etc.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o287 ... lStand.flv

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o287 ... ang_Wh.flv
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Floyd
Post by Floyd »

With all the dollars spent yearly to meet new SFI specs and safety requirements I think a "No Wheelie Bar" rule is silly. IMHO they only make the car safer (for drivers, competitors and track officials) not faster.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I never could figure out why they would do that.
Not 'street' looking?

If the cars have to have the roll cage for the ET being run, why not have the safety factor of a wheelie bar?
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

I see a serious accident happening in the future....
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

I was running at No Problem on a Friday night a couple of years ago, the Thunder Racing crowd were there. I counted no less than six busted oil pans from wheel stands. The only thing that saved the drivers from serious injury was the lack of MPH; the cars didn’t fare so well. It made for a long night at the races moping up all of the oil.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Floyd wrote:With all the dollars spent yearly to meet new SFI specs and safety requirements I think a "No Wheelie Bar" rule is silly. IMHO they only make the car safer (for drivers, competitors and track officials) not faster.
i definetly agree with you !
If the cars have to have the roll cage for the ET being run, why not have the safety factor of a wheelie bar?
yes, if you are required to have a Roll Cage or Bar,
you should ALSO have the right to have Wheelie Bars
as your option..if not mandated !

I see a serious accident happening in the future....
yes i saw a serious accident waiting to happen in this Video=>
(a better closeup + better angle)

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o287 ... ang_Wh.flv
think what would have happened if the other RaceCar was just a little slower ?? ...and Jay 's Mustang landed ontop of that RaceCar
or even worse , actually made it across the Concrete Barrier
into Spectators.
(Note=>i didn't create that last Video)

I counted no less than six busted oil pans from wheel stands. The only thing that saved the drivers from serious injury was the lack of MPH; the cars didn’t fare so well. It made for a long night at the races moping up all of the oil.
WheelStands look great up to a point...
but when it starts getting out of control
and destroying Parts .
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Floyd
Post by Floyd »

The only viable reason anyone has to make a "No Wheelie Bar" rule is because it's a "Street Car" class. I can understand their point of how a car on the street doesn't run with wheelie bars but there is only so much you can do with suspension tuning and travel limiters.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

How many 'street' cars came from the factory with NOS?

Or with roll bars?
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

Is there someone here who knows this Jay Leto or who has seen the car? I'm wondering how much effort he's put into moving weight to the front. There are so many things that are done "automatically," like putting the battery in the trunk and using aluminum and 'glas body components at the front. If you're going to run where there's a rule against wheelie bars, it's time to think like the constructor of a AAF/D and consider balancing out the weight. A significant start would be a 'glas covered battery tray at the nose of the car.
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Mr Billy,
I aaaam on a couple of boards that Jay Leto is on. I also am pretty sure that he is a customer of Larry Meaux's.

I agree completely with you this time. We have already been doing some forward balllst changes to Outlaw Cars to get rid of rear weight distribution even on the small tire cars.

To much hook to quick or what many of us call a Dead Hook does not work on anything except maybe a big over tired bracket car.

I personally feel that wheelie bars should be required on any car that is capable of getting it up. I am as firm a believer that no car should ever slam down of those wheelie bars with force. I consider them to be an insurance for safety aid. I wish I could get my customers to understand this too. I like a 4 link car to be adjusted so that it either barely touches down on the wheelie bars or does not even touch them.

Ed
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

http://www.bofunk.com/video/4015/wheelie_crash.html

of course these nuts want wild wheelies, but it shows just what can happen. When i watched this on TV the first time , I wasn't impressed with him holding his three year old daughter afterwards. What a moron
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

I think the rule is wrong, idiotic, and risky. I for one and against rules that take away from the integrity of safety. as much as i LOVE the 10.5" tire racing.......going 7sec on them is also not to safe.

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!