setting up leaf spring suspension

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
setting up leaf spring suspension

Post by chevy art »

I have a 67 nova currently using slapper bars and original 67 mono leaf springs. switching to cal tracks, and caltrack 2 piece mono spring, and the shocks are in question. i have strange coilover shocks( no coil springs involved), single adjustable, with spherical rod ends.shocks only have 5 1/4" travel. i am making my own lower mount(top mount is correct) and i can set its height at any height i want. should i set the ride height so the shock has 4 inches up travel and 1 1/4" down. or is that not enough for down travel. just dont know the best way to allocate the small amount of travel i have. car has almost 600 horses, a glide with tranny brake, 5500 stall converter, and ford rear with 563 gears and 14 inch slicks. im not sure which way the rear suspension travels with the leaf spring cars. thanks chevy art
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Re: setting up leaf spring suspension

Post by nhrastocker »

Speak directly to Calvert and they will lead you in the right direction.
There are many cars running their leaf springs running in the 8's.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thanks stocker.i was thinking the same. talked to him years ago and was really impressed. im sure he can tell me what to do. thanks again art
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Are any cars running stock mono's and slappers along with coil-overs at that hp?

pdq67
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

pd. its just the coilover shocks i am using, without the coil springs. got them new and cheap, but just not sure if there is enough extension in them(5 1/4" total). withe the old, original springs(1967 monos) and the slapper, i was getting 1.48-1.50 60 ft times with my 355. now i have a bigger engine, and the thing will not 60ft. any lower than 1.61. the monos are all bent up at front spring eyes. cant wait to see what the caltracs will do along with his springs. the coilover shocks i just dont know about.. still alot of 10 second camaros and novas out there with the monos and slappers.. do you have any input to add about the shocks i wanty to use. thanks art
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

chevy art,

Do your slappers hit in the bottom middle of the front spring eyes?

I have read where if they don't and hit back aways on the leaves that they can bend them into an "S" shape.

pdq67
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

im not sure which way the rear suspension travels with the leaf spring cars.
The body should be rising on launch.
(need more extension on shock when launching)

If your springs are original from 1967, they are probably way wrong for the spring tension needed for the car?
They are there for more than just locating the rear end?

The shocks also with out the coil-over spring is probably not correct for the setup?
(too loose or too tight)

Not sure the calvert type setup will correct everything?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

the slappers hit right on the spring eye. the springs are just beat up. they are gone in spring. the shocks are the good single adjustable shocks with the spherical ends. they will be fine(if they have enough extension). if not. calvert has plenty of different shocks with more extension and plenty of adjustment. thanks guys for adding info to this post art