Chrome-Moly Tubing

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

CMcAllister

Chrome-Moly Tubing

Post by CMcAllister »

I've been a spectator here for quite awhile, but now I have some questions and I'm certain this is the place to have them answered. I need to stock up on 4130 tubing and have had others tell me of their problem finding quality, US made material. I've heard stories of people having problems with chassis certification because of junk tubing, inconsistant wall thicknesses, etc.
I always try to get the best quality, US made material but I'm not sure what's available anymore. So...
What is available? What should I avoid? What problems are occuring (if any) because of imported CM tubing. Any information or thoughts on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
CoMaxRacing
Chrome-Moly

Post by CoMaxRacing »

The best place to get chromemoly is from a place called EMJ. Earle M Jorgensen they are based out of California. EMJmetals.com They supply to most of the chassis shops in the US and Canada. I haven't heard of any real problem with EMJ's tube. I'm not really sure where they get their tube from or if they make it themselves.

Hope this helps
CMcAllister

Post by CMcAllister »

Thanks for the info. I think what I'm looking for is first hand knowledge of any problems with quality or offshore junk to be aware of when buying tubing. I've been told of problems and would like to seperate the truth from the BS. If there are no real issues, I'll find something else to worry about. Thanks.
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Regardless of tubing supplier, wall thicknesses need to be held on the thick side to make certain they will pass tech. There are a lot of tricks involved in chassis building. Learning from a pro would be a good goal for a beginner.
Greenlight
Pro
Pro
CM Tubing

Post by Greenlight »

I've purchased tubing from Dillsburg Aeroplane Works in PA and from Chassis Shop and have not had any problems with quality or tubing thickness from either of these suppliers.
Project Greenlight
Nate_Taufer

Post by Nate_Taufer »

I buy from Airpartsinc.com as they supply to a large majority of the aviation community. Hope this helps ya out.

Nate
CoMaxRacing
ChromeMoly Tube

Post by CoMaxRacing »

I guess you really just have to get hooked up with a shop that has bent lots of 4130 tube and ask them if they have found any tube thickness issues,with the suppliers they use. Most chassis shops have an ultrasonic tester to check their tube before it goes into any cars and they will know the percentage of good to bad tube.