Interference Problem

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

predator
Interference Problem

Post by predator »

I am running into some clearance problems regarding my Magnum Force front suspension. with my 71 road-runner road-runner. I am having interference problems between the front hub, and my 15" X 8" rally wheels. It appears to be a case of the wheel needs to be spaced farther out towards the out-side of the Car.

I realize that I should be contacting Magnum Force with this problem. Heck, they M-F-G'd the front suspension. In fact I think I will end up contacting Magnum-Force. I just thought that I can't be the only one with this Problem. I also Fully realize that Magnum Force should have been my first contact regarding this issue.

So, how about it? Is there any one else out there who is building a MAGNUM-FORCE equipped front suspension, and is running into similar issue's?

I am starting to think that I will need to change my rolling stock. It very well might be the case that I need to change my wheels from 15's to maybe 16's, or maybe even larger.

What do you guys think?

Good by: The BIG Guy
user-612937456

Re: Interference Problem

Post by user-612937456 »

wring thread page try posting in this page viewforum.php?f=11
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Interference Problem

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://www.magnumforceracing.com/magnum ... member.htm

Wow -- they certainly provide a great service to the Mopar community.

Way, way down at the bottom of the page:
Here's another example from our own 72 Charger. Using our 3-1/2" dropped spindles with the coilovers adjusted to 12" installed height and using a 24-1/2" tall tire will yield a measurement of 10-3/4" from the frame to the ground measured at the bottom of the frame near the core support. The TTI headers installed on this car measure 1-3/4" to the ground at the lowest point but 2" the majority of the length of the header collector. Do keep in mind that the collector is measured nearly two feet behind the front axle centerline.

Wheel offset. Our own 1970 Dodge Challenger will be our example here. Using our dropped spindles and 17" wheels we used an 8" wide wheel on the front of the car. Anything bigger may need some mods to the car, but could be made to work. The backspacing on this 8" wheel is 5-1/8" measured to the inner portion of the lip. With the car this low the end result was that the tire nearly touched the inner fenderwell and out fender lip simultaneously at full turn. The lower the car is, the tighter the clearance gets, since Mopars have a taper on the inner fenderwell and the critical diameter of the wheel increases as well. We all want big wheels on our cars so keep in mind things can get tight. No more 14" Polyglass GT's for our Mopars!

Wheel offset - (Front anyways)

Using an 8" wheel on a 1970 Dodge Challenger with a six piston Wilwood kit mandated a 5-3/8 backspacing (measured to the innermost portion of the lip of the wheel). Keep in mind that brake manufacturers have periodicaly changed thier kits to alter the wheel mounting position slightly. At the time of this writing the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface measurement on this suspension with a six piston, 13" Wilwood kit is "61
I am sure they will be interested in hearing about the hub issue and then be more than happy to publish any changes needed.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: follow up

Post by Kevin Johnson »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43128&p=548130#p548143
predator wrote: Re: 440 Headers - I want your thoughts

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:44 am

I have Will-wood Brakes. The Rotors are 12.88 inches in diameter. This means that I must run 18 inch wheels. Does anyone have any thoughts on 18" wheels?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!