coilover shock setup

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
coilover shock setup

Post by chevy art »

have a real nice set of single adjustable coilovers with all heim joint eyes. i am using these shocks with calvert 2 piece LEAF SPRINGS. calvert sells the adjustable shocks for these springs with 7 inches of travel. my coilovers shocks only have 5 1/4 inched of travel. question is, where should i set the ride heigth of these shocks to work best with the leaf springs.. i could set them with about 2 inches open and give me about 3 1/4 inches of travel up, or set them at 3 inches open to give me only about 2 1/4 inches up, but more down travel at about 3 1/4 inches.they dont have a whole lot of travel, but i want to get the most from them using the 5 1/4 inches of travel. dont really undersatand how the leaf spring car works. it a glide car with sbc, 5500stall converter and tranny brake. aprox 580 horses. its a 67 nova. thanks for any info given art
steve316
Expert
Expert

Re: coilover shock setup

Post by steve316 »

You would set them up for more extension & less compression; 3.0 extension & 2.25 compression. works on 63 nova with latter-bars. Steve
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I would think for drag racing use, you want the most travel to be for extension.
Should not need a lot of compression except for on the return road?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thanks john and steve. that is the way i thought it should be, as when i watch a leaf spring car take off, in the body raises, meaning the shocks open up, which is what you guys are saying. i will set them with a ride height of 2 inches, which will give me the 3 1/4 inches to travel up(extension) thanks again art