need help I'm twisting!!

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

MTXRACER

need help I'm twisting!!

Post by MTXRACER »

Hello guy's
I'm alway's lurking and learning from this site and now I'm hoping someone can help me. Not sure if this is the right place or not but here goes.
I put ladder bars and coil overs on the car this year and have been pleased with the way they have been working. I made some changes to the carb and have got this thing to launch harder,but now it's twisting the front left up a lot higher than the right.
Would you adjust the preload in the ladder bar or in the anti-roll bar?
Thanks Tim
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Do you have a frame or subframe connectors?

It could be you need now to stiffen up the car.

You could add a little ladder bar pre-load if the car is trying to move to the side when launching. Adding any sort of pre-load to a car that is launching straight could be disatrous.

Ed
RyonPro1
Post by RyonPro1 »

This is not an answer but a question. You have a anti roll bar on a ladder bar car? I don't think I ever saw that before. I always considers the ladder bars to be anti roll bars. I could use some further insight here, but that seems redundant to me. Best of luck with your problem

Shawn
In God we trust, all others bring data!
RyonPro1
Post by RyonPro1 »

I agree with Ed.

First off you need to decide or figure out if the car is TWISTING or ROLL ROTATING. Two different things. If it is twisting, I would make the car stronger like Ed said. If it is roll rotating, try playing with the shocks. Tightening up the driver side front extension. Or the driver side rear extension. If it need more, tighten up the passenger side rear compression. Lots to play with and many combonations.

Shawn
In God we trust, all others bring data!
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

You need a comprehensive understanding of chassis/suspension fundamentals. I recommend Dave Morgan's, "Door Slammers Chassis Book", and ask you to read it until chassis parts are in your dreams.
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

That which you're experiencing is the natural reaction to driveshaft torque. The driveshaft torque tends to unload the right rear tire; the reaction tends to unload the left front tire.

Making the chassis stiffer will decrease the observable effects, but it will have absolutely no effect on your real problem. That lifting of the left front is trying to tell you that you have a problem with the loading of the rear tires. Stiffening the chassis is like putting tape over the engine warning light.

Yes, if you have one of these adjustable aftermarket anti-roll bars, you could increase the static preload and minimize the problem. Static preload adjustments could also be made with coilovers, if you have them.

An asymmetric adjustment of the ladder bars would be a big help. By this, I mean moving the front of the right bar higher than that of the left.

For information on asymmetric adjustments, static preloading, and the use of a traction dyno to determine the results BEFORE going to the strip, check out my blog:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope