Welding forged I beam axle

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Welding forged I beam axle

Post by Truckedup »

I'm building a specialty vehicle for a friend ;so called Lakester or belly tank. This is not a race car or daily driver, just something for occasional rides in a rural area. The suspension is traditional early Ford with straight axles and transverse spring. Total car weight about 1500 pounds, maybe 600 pounds on the front axle.
The front axle needs to be narrowed. Take a section out of the middle and weld it back together. The axle is forged steel.
I feel comfortable with fish plating and welding. I have seen axles sectioned using a half lap joint. And the actual welding process...I have a industrial MIG...
What are your opinions ? thanks
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Welding forged I beam axle

Post by PackardV8 »

I've been using welded front axles, pitman arms, suspension A-arms, rear axles for fifty years with no failures. If you've got the machine and the experience, it's not any more difficult than any other sound weld.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Hectori
Pro
Pro

Post by Hectori »

Usually those casts that are used in suspension or steering, are very good to weld. You can weld them just as you would weld "normal" steel.

My rule of thumb in this is, if it burns nicely when you weld, you can weld it. If it does not have steady arc when welding, you have to use special rods and welding prosesses.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

Your ideal is fine. One suggestion, be sure to "V" the joint enough to allow good penetration. For extra piece of mind you could plate the joint [maybe just on the back side for appearance]
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive