Ladderbar/driveshaft coilover ride hight issues ;(

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

62prostreetbelair
Ladderbar/driveshaft coilover ride hight issues ;(

Post by 62prostreetbelair »

ok, this is a long one.... #1 bought the car without drive shaft, 62 belair, 79 camaro front end Looks like a chassishop backhalf, and ladderbar setup. I had a 3" 1530 drive shaft made and found out the drive shaft hits the passenger side tunnel. I put a laser on the engine and trans and they are good. Looks like they didnt offset 12 bolt rearend correctley, so Im assuming i have to cut the ladderbar and wheelie bar mounts off and re position the assend and weld new ones on?
#2 I bought some Qa1 single adjustable coil over shocks and put them on 16" total I nelieve, I have 12" 170 springs and I set the ride hight anjd it looks good untill I lower it down and Im only getting like 2" travel outta the shocks....No matter where I hang'em, I turn the coil to give it more preload and still onley 2". Old spring? Should I use a 14" spring? Maybe a 12-200 or a 14-200? Havent been able to weigh the car yet but I thing the back is between 18-1900 pounds. any help would be greatly appriciated, thank you.........John in murfreesboro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
62prostreetbelair
Re: Ladderbar/driveshaft coilover ride hight issues ;(

Post by 62prostreetbelair »

can someone please tell me if im on the right track as to what i need to do??? Thank you........
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Re: Ladderbar/driveshaft coilover ride hight issues ;(

Post by John Wallace »

Not sure what you mean by the tranny/engine laser thing?
From the tranny to the rear end is inline with the yoke on rear end?

If the rear end is actually off set from centerline to one side or other, the housing will have to have the axle tubes adjusted (cut) to make it 'centered'.
(along with the ladder bar mounts etc probably)

The car rear coilspring/shock setup will probably need to be longer overall to get more travel.
(these are all one piece and not shocks separate from the coil over mounts?)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com