Mustang II Spindle and center link steering

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

GraceRider
Mustang II Spindle and center link steering

Post by GraceRider »

1st straight line project. I am starting out with reworking the front-end on a 68 Cougar. I don't have a particular class that I'm building for but I'm trying to stay with mostly using the original bolt holes just in case. This looks like it might lend itself to something similar to a dirt late model style front coil-over suspension.

I retained the mustang steering box (maybe 16:1 ratio), built a custom center-link and longer pitman & idler, etc. Still rear steer and looks like I could have room for a front or rear sump motor now.

My question> I have the Speedway 2" drop mustang II spindles to mock it up and the steering arms are much shorter than anything else I have built. Would the shorter arms make the steering too quick for a rookie to drive? Not far enough along yet to know if the 2" drop is needed. I'm delaying fitting them out with rotors, brakes, etc. before being comfortable in going with these. If needed I think I can find something closer to the stock dimensions for a little more $. Anyone ran a Pinto/Mustang II spindle safely with a common center-link style steering layout? If possible I don't want all my focus to be on just keeping the car in my lane or even worse just on the track. Thanks.
GraceRider
Re: Mustang II Spindle and center link steering

Post by GraceRider »

Keeping the steering changes and going back with the stock spindles for now. They are 8 1/2" tall verses the 7"+ of the M2.
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Re: Mustang II Spindle and center link steering

Post by Unkl Ian »

Rack and pinion spindles typically have shorter steering arms.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.