Chassis engineering "new ladder bar"

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Larry Woodfin

Chassis engineering "new ladder bar"

Post by Larry Woodfin »

do any of you have experience with the bar listed below? Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks

http://www.chassisengineering.com/shopD ... uctId=1199
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Larry,
I don't like it at all. Too flexable and it definetly to me looks to be weak.

I can see some benefit in the adjustability of the position up or down of the front pivot point, but I would think that the forward attaching brackets would also need to be adjustable too for a ladder bar to be able to change the point of Instant Center, by an adjustment.

The strongest and the best ladder bar design I have ever seen is on a set that I now have for sale at a friend's shop in Houston. They are ultra adjustable and are ultra strong too. They use what looks like short upper 4 link bars with heims for the top bar part and the bars are fully diagonal braced quite a bit at all possible flex points. The top link serves to adjust pinion angle on one side and the other side to adjust in pre-load if needed.

Why I am harping on strength about ladder bars.It is because over the years I have seen serious and not so serious problems connected with ladder bars bending. Thou Shall Not Bend, Flex or Break. lol.

Just my thoughts and opinions though. I am sure they would disagree with my opinions. I also hate the Slide-A-Link too.

Ed
Larry Woodfin

Post by Larry Woodfin »

Ed,

The strongest and the best ladder bar design I have ever seen is on a set that I now have for sale at a friend's
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sounds interesting, I would like to know more about those bars. Any photos? Or fax [903-984-7096] me a sketch so I can understand the design

Also, others have questioned the strength because of no braces.

Larry
Silverback

Post by Silverback »

Well, if you get details it would be nice if they were posted here so the rest of us could see them also.

WRT strength, a lot depends on what you're planning on doing to them, but in general, from the looks of them, the only way that you could make that design significantly stronger is if you made the front double shear brackets longer and/or possibly boxed them since that is the point that would bend if anything there.

Real world, rod ends always make me nervous, since it seems like you're always putting way too much load through a small point, even though it's rare to see problems there unless you try to get them to operate at too great an angle. I would wonder if the sold rear joints isn't setting the thing up for failure since there will always be _some_ side to side motion and with the solid links there the only way to get any is by bending something.
[i][color=navy][size=92] Mark[/size]
[size=75]aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...[/color][/size][/i]
TORQUE INC
Pro
Pro

Post by TORQUE INC »

www.quartermax.com

Rick Jones chassis

http://www.rjracecars.com/cgi-bin/sqlst ... 086&pid=37

I have not see a better design out there ever

I have seen them copied but these are well worth the money.
TORQUE RULES !!!!