HELP WITH 87 MONTE SS SUSPENSION HELP

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Kingrocpage12
HELP WITH 87 MONTE SS SUSPENSION HELP

Post by Kingrocpage12 »

Ok I got a 87 ss I'm setting up for a big block race car. I have the frame off now. I got a 12 bolt with south side lower trailing arms and edelbrock upper adjustable arms .. All the c Chanel of the frame has been braced and boxed in and has been notched for mini tub ... Now I have 2 issues .... Whats better a panhard bar or reinforcement bars tht go from the upper trailing arm to the lower trailing arm?? And I'm completely lost on what springs to go with, I don't want the car lowered at all I actually want the stocky stance but I want them to be good for a strong take off, I'm putting a estimate 850hp 505ci bbc in front of it, so any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated and thank you
Kingrocpage12
Re: HELP WITH 87 MONTE SS SUSPENSION HELP

Post by Kingrocpage12 »

An If there's any one with pics of similar project please post pics
Matt Compton

Post by Matt Compton »

No Pics, but the strap from the upper to the lower is good. Then do an anti roll bar. Will be the best money you have spent. Panhard is a waste on a dragrace car. With the BBC the G-body will definitely benefit from an antiroll. Springs may be a trial and error. The Eibach Drag launch series are good but may lower the car some. QA-1 or equiv adjustable shocks front and rear is a must.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

Springs from a big block Buick LeSabre or Olds 98 Regency might fit the bill. IDK if they will fit, but they should be stiffer.
10wideBu

Post by 10wideBu »

I would get rid of the ssm bars, they bind up , autofab or trz make good hiem end bars for g bodies, with that kind of power, reinforcement on the upper control mounts ,they have been known to pull out of frame
lower front mount should be reinforced too. If you got a cage in it, i would x brace it to the upper control frame mounts.
10wideBu

Post by 10wideBu »

As for springs Afco makes alot spring rates. Eibach are good . moroso is kind of a generic spring.
hope this helps. Malibu racing has alot of suspension pics of fast g bodies. Good luck.
Keep us informed, like to know how well it runs. low 9s high 8s ?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I'd suggest a mod to the chassis side of the uppers. Reinforce the boxes as mentioned. Also add a couple holes below the stock hole location.
This will give some adjustability. The IC on a stock G body in that yr range is not ideal. [IC could be behind the rear bumper!]
Chuck L.
Hotrodding since 1955.
Injector Inspector.
Turbo Buicks in the 9's...
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

10wideBu wrote:I would get rid of the ssm bars, they bind up , autofab or trz make good hiem end bars for g bodies, with that kind of power, reinforcement on the upper control mounts ,they have been known to pull out of frame
lower front mount should be reinforced too. If you got a cage in it, i would x brace it to the upper control frame mounts.
Yep. And, as mentioned, [BTDT], eventually they'll beat the crap out of the mounts.

My G body, [86 Buick T Type], has some stiffener bars, a Wolfe single anti-roll bar on it, along w/ the main rails being boxed in, and a rear frame tie bar on it.

I have some pics. If you want, I'll email them to you.
I'm at codymspt@bellsouth.net. Shoot me your email, and I'll send them.
Chuck L.
Hotrodding since 1955.
Injector Inspector.
Turbo Buicks in the 9's...