Foward bite Metric car

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

circletrack15

Foward bite Metric car

Post by circletrack15 »

Hey whats up? I have a 85 Olds Cutlas that is in its first year of racing on a 3/8 dirt oval. We are 4th in points have won 3 heats 1 main and are freaking alot of people out because we are the first to have a metric car . Everyone else races cameros and novas and was made fun of put down ect for running a car that has been said would Never work let alone win any races. Thanks to you Mike and your E-book we are profing that these cars can win and be very compeditive. We are very pleased with what you have taught us and have no complaints. However can you tell us what we can do to gain a little more foward bite? We shortened the upper trailing arms and dont want to shorten them any more than what you said. This car is so close to perfect that we dont really want to change anythig but a little more foward bite would be awesome. PLEASE help and thanks Leonard
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

foward bite

Post by MikeLeone »

Do you have the rear frame heights way up high ? 8-9" The higher up the more bite the give you.

The squarer the rear in the car the better the bite.

Other than that I've never raced on dirt, so I don't know what to tell you.
Good luck
ROMPRON

BITE

Post by ROMPRON »

HEY MIKE, DOES THAT EXTRA BITE COME BECOUSE OF TRAILING ARM ANGLES OR BECOUSE THE REAR END HAS LESS BIND... RON

PS MIKE, I SENT U A PM. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF U GOT IT.
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Good Questions

Post by MikeLeone »

I'm not 100% sure which it is, but I think it is mostly the arm angles. Though I've tried moving the angles of the uppers and bad things happened.

Mike
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

I would suggest increasing the rate of the LF spring relative to the RF. (To keep the same handling characteristics, keep the sum of the two front rates constant. And, of course, you'll have to rescale the car and bring it back to the original corner weights.) This directs more of the weight transfer, during acceleration out of the corner, back to that light LR.

Also, consider lowering the mount for the lower left link at the rear. Again, this helps the loading on that LR during acceleration.