also buying new slicks

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

dbusch
Expert
Expert
also buying new slicks

Post by dbusch »

i usually run the M/T 28 X 10.5S tire on my car. Seems to do OK, but looking for something a bit different. I thought about going with a Phoenix tire, either the 28.6 X 9 or the 28.6 X10.6. I thought the 9" tire may be faster since i have read that width does little for extra traction and may actually add more drag and slow the car down. Height gives you more traction, they say...
358T
Pro
Pro

Re: also buying new slicks

Post by 358T »

dbusch wrote: I thought the 9" tire may be faster since i have read that width does little for extra traction and may actually add more drag and slow the car down. Height gives you more traction, they say...
Interesting..... where did you read/hear about this?

Scott
dbusch
Expert
Expert
Post by dbusch »

jerry bickel's chassis book...good read!
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Class racers limited to 9" slicks select slicks with more rollout to get best footprint. You may be very unhappy going from 10" to 9" slicks!
Speedy Goomba

Post by Speedy Goomba »

Consider Hoosier CO6 compound lightweight RADIAL slicks (not drag radials!). the same tires use on Stock Eliminator cars.

I went from a 28 x 11.5 (10" tread) hoosier QTP tire to the C06 radials, and picked up .08 in ET along with a more consistant Hook.

They work great with a light burnout, and high tire pressure (they drive great on the big end).

so far i've used 17lbs, and this season i'm going to test up to 22lbs or more.
117.42MPH
1.46 60 foot(footbrake)
7.03 @ 94.65
3215 lb. '67 Camaro

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Speedy Goomba wrote:Consider Hoosier CO6 compound lightweight RADIAL slicks (not drag radials!). the same tires use on Stock Eliminator cars.

I went from a 28 x 11.5 (10" tread) hoosier QTP tire to the C06 radials, and picked up .08 in ET along with a more consistant Hook.

They work great with a light burnout, and high tire pressure (they drive great on the big end).

so far i've used 17lbs, and this season i'm going to test up to 22lbs or more.
You can probably run more air than that. With the C07 compund, regular (or heavy) weight Hoosier 30" X 9" tires on 10" wheels, my '96 LT1 Firbird goes right at 1.30 60' in crappy Oklahoma summer air foot braking. The fastest ten or so runs the car has made (best of 10.16 132) it had 25 psi in the tires. I seldom run less than 23 psi, even on hot tracks.

I tested them back-to-back A-B-A against an also new set of 10.5 X 29.5 Hoosier C06 bias tires on 10" wheels, and dropped .25 sec, and picked up almost 3 mph. 1/10th of it in 60'. Most I ever heard of. Thought it must be a fluke, swapped them back (same night) and slowed back down the same amount. Gave the bias tires to a needy friend. Biggest problem since changing over has been keeping it off the back bumper, and red lights.

I'm going to try the light weight C06 tires soon. Don't really know if I can stand any better.

I wouldn't be shy with the air pressure. However, one psi too much and mine just blows them off. No in-between with them. But it keeps going faster as the pressure is raised, until they give up. The car has been very consistent. Myself and several others have run well into the nines on them. Amazing tires, imho.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
Silverback

Post by Silverback »

Ed Wright wrote:I tested them back-to-back A-B-A against an also new set of 10.5 X 29.5 Hoosier C06 bias tires on 10" wheels, and dropped .25 sec, and picked up almost 3 mph. 1/10th of it in 60'. Most I ever heard of. Thought it must be a fluke, swapped them back (same night) and slowed back down the same amount. Gave the bias tires to a needy friend. Biggest problem since changing over has been keeping it off the back bumper, and red lights.
I think that I’m confused… so the “normal” bias slicks ran .25 seconds faster or the radials did?
[i][color=navy][size=92] Mark[/size]
[size=75]aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...[/color][/size][/i]