Wheel or rim offest

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

pdltfc
Wheel or rim offest

Post by pdltfc »

What side of the car should your wheel with the largest offset be on in regards to cornering and handeling, the drivers side or passenger side?
Thanks
ZEROMAN91
Pro
Pro

OFFSET

Post by ZEROMAN91 »

Which wheel and what kind of racing?
pdltfc
Offset of Wheels

Post by pdltfc »

Sorry my question was vague. Its Kids Club racing. 4 cylinder stock on a 1/4 mile oval track. If I have both wheels on one side of the car with a 2 inch back space and the other side with a 3 inch back space what side of the car should the rims with the 3 inch back space be mounted on. Hope this explains it better. Thanks for your reply.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Offset of Wheels

Post by SupStk »

pdltfc wrote:Sorry my question was vague. Its Kids Club racing. 4 cylinder stock on a 1/4 mile oval track. If I have both wheels on one side of the car with a 2 inch back space and the other side with a 3 inch back space what side of the car should the rims with the 3 inch back space be mounted on. Hope this explains it better. Thanks for your reply.
I was hoping someone else with more knowledge would jump into this thread. Guess not so here goes...

I would opt for a larger offset on the right side. To realize maximum benifit I'd think the spring rates would have to be increased on that side also.

Out of interest, what did you do on the alignment issue we talked about earlier?

Still running the trailer tires? Have you tried any others yet?

Good luck to you and your daughter.
pdltfc
Wheel Offset

Post by pdltfc »

Thanks for your reply.
I was thinking the same.
I have the right wheel leaned in 1 1/4 inch on the right 1inch lean in on the left side. The toe is in 1/4 inch.
Still runing trailer tires. Thats all their allowed to run other than radials. I tried that but they had to much give. Thanks Paul
Team Owner

Post by Team Owner »

That isn't the proper way of tuning a chassis. It isn't how you space a wheel out. It is how you want your car to handle.

Spacing is usually done to the Right Front and the Left Rear.

Technically you want the car to track to the left - which involves using stagger. You put the smallest tire on the LF and LR. You increase Camber to one side and reduce camber by about the same amount to the other side. You try to put as much weight as you need for traction on the LR and what ever you need to be legal in the middle of the car under the seat of the driver.

You increase toe to + 1/8 - 1/4 of a inch.

As far as tires are concerned - you want all the tires out as far as you can space them for a big track( 3/8 - 1/2 mile ) and as narrow as you can make them for a small track -( 1/4 mile).

If the car is Too loose - you bring the RR in. Too tight move the RR out.

If going in a turn you are too loose you bring the RF in and if too tight you move it out.

Usually you will have one set up for the heat race when the track is wet and tacky and another set up for the feature.

Go buy yourself a good Steve Smith Book.
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

General rules

Post by MikeLeone »

Here are a few general circle track rules, I'm assuming the 1/4 mile track is asphalt ? IF not then I agree with most of what team owner posted except putting the weight on the LR for traction (with a front wheel drive car)

The more left side weight you have the better the car will go through the corner, so space the right sides out and pull the left sides in. That will increase the amount of weight on the lft side wheels. I wouldn't try to adjust the handeling balance with wheel offset. Most tracks have rules about wht you can do with wheel offset mixing.

You want negative wheel camber (top of the tire leaning in)on the right side and positive on the left. The way to know how far to go is by measuring tire tempatures accross the tire after practice. (if this is too advanced, just look at what the fastest guys are doing and copy them)

Radials are excellent to race on, but you have to put some serious air pressure to them. Start at 45-50 on the right and 25-35 on the left. Do not try to use the tire temps to find the right pressure, that will send you down the wrong track. If you try to run them at normal low racecar presures they are wiggly and evil. If they let you mix and match sizes, put smaller tires on the left side.

Yes, I agree you shoul buy a good setup book, I recommend the Streetstock setup manual (my book!)

http://racingsecrets.com/street_stock_racing.shtml
ROMPRON

RADIALS---- ATT: MIKE LEONE

Post by ROMPRON »

HEY MIKE. IF YOU DONT USE TIRE TEMPS TO SET UP YOUR CAR ON RADIALS THEN WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST. OUR TRACK IS GOING TO CHANGE FROM HOOSIER RACE TIRES TO A RADIAL RECAP IN A FEW WEEKS. IVE USED THESE TIRES BEFORE AND RAN 24 TO 34 ALL THE WAY AROUND. RF 34---RR 24 ECT.... I CANT SAY IVE SET ANY RECORDS WITH THESE PRESSURES. THANKS
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Temps

Post by MikeLeone »

You can still use temps to gauge camber, toe, Etc. With radials the center temp should be 20-30 hotter. I found that to be true whether we had 30, 40 or 45 lbs of air pressure. So the temp doesn't tell to exactly where the pressures should be.
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Shaving

Post by MikeLeone »

Here's another big tip: Brand new radials don't run well because of the deep tread. Find someone who can shave them down to almost bald. 1000 lap old worn radials are sometimes faster than brand new full tread tires. If you can find someone to shave em, have the rears shaved at an angle across. This creates camber built onto the tire tread.
ROMPRON

RADIALS---- ATT: MIKE LEONE

Post by ROMPRON »

THESE TIRES ARE RECAPED SLICKS ON A GOODYEAR EAGLE CASING. THEY ARE A GOOD TIRE BUT IVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE OUT THE BEST PRESSURES. I WILL TRY RUNNING 30 TO 40 HOTTER IN THE MIDDLE. I ASSUME U MEAN ALL 4 TIRES.

I DO RUN A RACE AT THE END OF THE YEAR ON STREET TIRES AND THEY MUST BE A RADIALS. ITS A HALF MILE PRETTY MUCH FLAT TRACK. (SLIGHT BANK). I WILL HAVE SOME SET UP QUESTIONS LATER ON THAT... http://www.yakimaspeedway.us/ SEE FALL CLASSIC....