Buy a Racing helmet

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

ricks57

Buy a Racing helmet

Post by ricks57 »

Hi,
anyone know of a site that has helmet reviews or comparison? Or even a quick tutorial on what to look for when buying a helmet? New 2015 rated helmets are available now. I've heard all the "what's your head worth" comments before but I'm just an amateur, occasional user and want a value priced model.
Thanks
Rick
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Re: Buy a Racing helmet

Post by ZIGGY »

Assuming you mean auto racing helmets. Motorcycle helmets differ.
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/blo ... g-helmets/
http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/
Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc. all sell and can advise you.
Should be Snell rated. IME most amateur venues require not over 5 yrs old.
Should fit snugly without pinching but key test is when you move your head vigorously side to side,
the helmet should not move independently. The rest is what your vision and other personal preferences are.
JMO.
bruce69camaro

Post by bruce69camaro »

I like this place: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
I purchased the HJC CL-17 helmet, very comfortable and I like the pin system on the face shield.
Meets all the spec's from NHRA and doesn't hurt your wallet.
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

The helmet referenced shows a Snell M rating, which AFAIK means not flame retardant.
I know jack about NHRA's helmet requirements but doubt they allow such unless the safety
rules are less stringent for slower classes.
bruce69camaro

Post by bruce69camaro »

2016 NHRA rules states for 13.99 and quicker, helmets with Snell M2005, M2010, M2015 are accepted.
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Ah, I see it down the list. My background with mostly open cockpit front engine circle track
cars would make me very reluctant to wear a lesser rated helmet. Whatever, his money, his choice
as Packard likes to say. Also his ass.
Confused

Post by Confused »

I'm not sure about NHRA or any other drag racing groups, but IMCA requires an SA-2005 or newer rated helmet. The SA is for automotive racing and has a flame retardant lining. If you buy an SA rated helmet, most sanctioning bodies will accept it as well as the tracks.
Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight »

Motorcycle (M or MA rating) helmets have a larger peripheral vision than SA rated helmets. Helps a little for bracket type racing.
Project Greenlight
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

That's interesting information. I'm not involved with racing squirt cars but it might be
useful for some of my drag racer friends.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Here's my advice. Don't buy a helmet just due to price. See where it's made, look at the reviews, and then TRY ALL THE ONES ON THAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT. Even the best helmet can't protect you properly if it doesn't fit right, and when they are uncomfortable that makes it worse. I've owned Racequip, G-Force, Simpson, and a few others. Hands down now my choice is the Impact Champ. Fits better than anything I've tried, is very comfortable, and made in America! Also performs very well in testing. But that's my preference.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Monza Harry

Post by Monza Harry »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 am Here's my advice. Don't buy a helmet just due to price. See where it's made, look at the reviews, and then TRY ALL THE ONES ON THAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT. Even the best helmet can't protect you properly if it doesn't fit right, and when they are uncomfortable that makes it worse. I've owned Racequip, G-Force, Simpson, and a few others. Hands down now my choice is the Impact Champ. Fits better than anything I've tried, is very comfortable, and made in America! Also performs very well in testing. But that's my preference.
Good Advice right there! I have a 3XL helmet requirement with my head shape that 3X is actually snug front to back and required extra padding side to side and I am still not happy with it, too loose side to side and in the heat gives me a headache from the front/rear pinch. I rarely need it so I survive the torture, if I needed it more than once or twice every couple of years it would be a custom fitting! So with that thought others experience really isn't of much help, we are all shaped differently. Experience with customer service, longevity, and price etc. Yes, the rest is as stated above. I hope I offered a perspective that you find beneficial/insightful. Harry
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

I would rather see a member spend any extra money on a neck/helmet restraint then a super expensive helmet. If the next restraint is not an option, it should be, get the best and lightest helmet you can afford, and the older the driver, the weaker the neck, you can't beat father time.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Monza Harry wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 pm
Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 am Here's my advice. Don't buy a helmet just due to price. See where it's made, look at the reviews, and then TRY ALL THE ONES ON THAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT. Even the best helmet can't protect you properly if it doesn't fit right, and when they are uncomfortable that makes it worse. I've owned Racequip, G-Force, Simpson, and a few others. Hands down now my choice is the Impact Champ. Fits better than anything I've tried, is very comfortable, and made in America! Also performs very well in testing. But that's my preference.
Good Advice right there! I have a 3XL helmet requirement with my head shape that 3X is actually snug front to back and required extra padding side to side and I am still not happy with it, too loose side to side and in the heat gives me a headache from the front/rear pinch. I rarely need it so I survive the torture, if I needed it more than once or twice every couple of years it would be a custom fitting! So with that thought others experience really isn't of much help, we are all shaped differently. Experience with customer service, longevity, and price etc. Yes, the rest is as stated above. I hope I offered a perspective that you find beneficial/insightful. Harry
I to have had issues with certain brand helmets not fitting me well. I liked some of the features of the Simpson and Impact, but the Bell fit my head better. I agree that trying them on before buying is critical. I do need to step up to a head and neck restraint before I step back into a car. That is the one area that I could really improve my physical safety equipment.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

That HJC CL-17 is great helmet for the price, but it fits a round head.

Helmets definitely come in different shapes. Round, med oval and long oval are the most common. I made the mistake of buying a round helmet, after an hour, my forehead hurt. A medium oval fits me much better.

The motorcycle gear sites have more info on shape and sizing. Revzilla has video reviews, but unfortunately that doesn’t always help the auto racer.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

I wear my helmet most often for snowmobiling, 4 wheeling way more than drag racing. So I need a helmet with good vents and a breath deflector along with fog resistant face shield. If your helmet needs to cover a couple bases, its something to think about. If you wear a balaclava/headsock, or glasses/sunglasses make sure you test your fit with those
And remember, if you're in an impact situation with your helmet; its time to replace the helmet even if it looks structurally intact.