How do I use Methanol in a Drag racing application?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

barnym17
Guru
Guru
Post by barnym17 »

Carbs and alky go very well together,look at 90% of the dirt late models and modifieds out there.Belt drive fuel pump and bypass regulator for fuel setup altho 6 valve holley style mechanical pump can do the job to up to a point.Figure 1.0lb fuel per hp per hr on meth as a ballpark starting number set reg to 3lbs idle about 9psi wide open and hang on.A throttle activated mechanical bypass also works well with carbs.
340king
Expert
Expert

Methanol

Post by 340king »

There are some more considerations with methanol that I didn't notice being mentioned in my cursory review of the posts.

I agree with the assessment that you are on the very bottom of where I would consider running methanol as far as compression is concerned.

Methanol is hygroscopic, it absorbs water readily. That means that very good care of the product is needed to ensure that it is not gaining water vapor over time. That usually means keeping the source can/barrel closed tightly and possibly purging the fuel cell, depending on the frequency of the racing.

The methanol is more concentrated in the cylinder and you will have to ensure that your ignition system is top notch. Any faults in the system and the methanol will quench your spark.

Methanol is corrosive to some metals and you will need to protect any exposed and unprotected metals from the corrosive affect. It also fouls the oil faster and may require more frequent oil changes.

None of this is a big deal, but careful attention now will ensure your having fun at the track instead of thrashing on the car. You should enjoy better performance, a quicker cool down between rounds and more consistency on variable weather days. Good luck.