Anyone test and compared a single plane vs tunnel ram w(1x4)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GrannySShifting

Post by GrannySShifting »

jeffmckc... you at mephis and a rag get pulled up in your oil pump or somethign a while back?
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

:oops: Yes that was me, last minute change in a "NEW" Hamberger pan more power you know :roll: I took it out of the box washed it out and put it on, had no idea behind the trap door was a red rag. Wheel stand and you know the rest, If I had been thinking we would have pulled the motor and fixed it Friday, but was to shook up about it all. I dont even use red rags to build with, you know how many metal chips are in those.

But we won our Drag Week Class by 1/2 sec. "March HotRod" page 50

Gettting ready now for it again, with my spare motor and going to EFI and a Dry Shot. My junk has no chance against those twin turbo cars. Dont want to kill my good Bullet.

If your there you should stop by, I think this will be the last year for it, I should not be laying on my back pulling rag out this year, I dont use a trap door pan anymore. :idea:
2007 HotRod Drag Week Winner SB/NA
2012 HotRod Drag Week Winner SS SB/NA
Fastest/Quickest Small Block N/A
Stock Suspension Car on Drag Week since 2007
9.67@ 139 with a 1.42 60' thru the Mufflers Dot tires
Thanks RFD Heads and Intakes
GrannySShifting

I am sure you remember us, I was the younger skinny guy that does the tuning/engine stuff on the LSx stuff we took down there. I cant remember if that was when we went down with Wayne blue Firebird, or last year with Steve/Ashleys black maro/white Firebird.

Or if you dont, Im sure you remember at least one of our Glen Burnie hoodlums, probably Brent because at some point I think he threw a beer at you :shock: He gets real testy sometimes, hell do anything for you, and hell also throw a beer can at you at any given time!
PSI
G.B., M.D.
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

Yeah I remember you! you where sitting in the chair and I was BSing with you and Wayne and got hit by a full beer what a waiste of beer, we where glad to see at least one guy took some power out to get down the track, what the heck was everyone else thinking? Steve/Ashleys black camaro/white Firebird. We where just taking a break before we went back to pull more towel out. Pull the motor when we got home man it was still full of rag. We still cant run the number you guys put up, but just show up for fun, Drag Week is our bag. You guys going this year?
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Bigest Problem I see With EFI is the cost of tuning..... From what I've seen it seem like a never ending $$$ and time experiance, nothing is ever just plug and play.

Carbs are just so well sorted out and proven IMO
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

I would differ on that. The carb can change if a cloud goes over a EFI with a wide band will set it back to whatever you have set it to run A/F at its not plug and play but once set its close and with the logger built in easier to do. Plus in the case of this guy's car a very nice choice with a single rule on a cast Tunnel ram. I am going to a 36 & 1 set up, with 8 coils waisted spark and kissing Mr. MSD good by!
GrannySShifting

No time with stuff goign on in the shop to go away that long, unfortunately!
PSI
G.B., M.D.
talon
Pro
Pro

Post by talon »

Hello jeff

I have a need to run venturi's that are spaced apart farther than a 600- 850 carb - more in line with dominator spacing i guess( although I dont know the exact spacing dimensions for a dom.).

This would suit the fabrication of a efi throttle body for a efi setup. Dual throttle body on T-ram. and the units need to be not spread too far apart - so linkage could not take up too much relestate

What would be the cost of converting a non-efi SBF. dont include the cost of a manifold or throttle body/linkage- I am looking at computor, sensors, injectors,pumps, etc. I have a bunch of stock HO efi stuff - but I dont think that would suit? dunno you tell me.

I currently use MSD box with distributor for ignition.

Also - a GOOD book that has info on concepts and sensor/system for efi.

This eventually will be a nitrous car - nothing crazy 200 shot or so - fogger.

thanks gents

Jim
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

I sent you a PM of who I am using. I dont know much about all the systems, I do know he can work a lot with what you have or he can get as wild as you want also, it depends on how far you want to go with it.
TOP38
Re: Tunnelram

Post by TOP38 »

bigjoe1 wrote:I have tested on a good SB Chevy, and when you get the tunnelram right, it will be about 35 or 40 HP better than say a super victor. It is hard to get a single four barrel on a tunnelram to work right. This was on a 400 Chevy that made 822 with two 850 carbs, 804 with one Dominator, and 765 one dominator on a super victor.

JO SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
BigJoe,

How about a 555 BBC , convential heads, single 2100 cfm top w/mechanical fuel injection?? 950 HP at 7000'ish now.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Last year, we did the heads and a Dart cast intake for a 468". It use the now n/a Pontiac spread-port heads. It's a class car NA with one 4bbl. and weighs 3480 lbs. It ran 5.52 1/8th last season in 800ft. air. He's racing today with no changes other than a sheetmetal intake. So far, he's run a 5.54 in 400 ft. air. Same 1.22 60ft. as before. The plugs read good, and he'll likely leave it alone for the rest of the day. So, it will come down to some tuning at this point. There's spacers and other tweaking to try. I'm sure there's a gain to be had, but it won't be earth shattering. Like mentioned earlier, a good, properly contoured and sized single-plane intake ain't junk.
crumple
Post by crumple »

talon wrote:Hello poppy

what tunnel ram is that SBF running? What distributor??? If you see the car with his hood up next time - could you take a peak??

Thanks

........1060 HP........