Help me evaluate these photos. Chamber and Piston

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

This had a Autolite R3933.. Rings.. probably.
want-a-be

Post by want-a-be »

Are there only the 5 pics? I would like to look into the intake runner also. A pic on of the valve spring area. and the assembled engine from the intake side would be nice too.

Thanks, Don 8)
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

A glance at the piston tops shows the first and third cylinders from the left showing a different and maybe better color/pattern. Any idea why these would burn differently? Firing order? Fuel distribution? Intake design? Random chance?

thnx, jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Wow!
I hope the general enthusiast who happens by this site can comprehend what he's viewing. Just a few years ago, you were on your own with stuff like this. In one little thread, xenginebuilder and Ed laid out specifics that some engine builders, over an entire career, could easily have missed.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

.....and before I can get the last post entered, Jack offers up more educated clues. Hell, if this keeps up, I might build a motor.

But, I doubt it.

cspeier, Did you check EGT's on the dyno? If so, what was the spread? Not addressing the oiling, but more toward what Jack observed.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I agree Ron E. For every "bad" thing on the internet there is this type help. The internet is a beautiful thing when used properly.

I think my pullover problem had a bigger effect on things than I thought..

NO egt's on the dyno, why? I know better :oops: It was just a struggle to get everything adapted..
Last edited by user-9274568 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

From the photos I see a line down each center cylinder the left one at 11 and the rt @ 5:30 at the head studs. Do you have the o rings around the plugs in the in port for the head stud? Do you have spring oilers? A friend of mine had a lot of trouble with an SB2 sucking the tank dry on the dry sump and the problem was the spring oilers spraying so much oil the scavenge couldn't keep up. We use 3933 in all of our aluminuim head stuff.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

robert1 wrote:From the photos I see a line down each center cylinder the left one at 11 and the rt @ 5:30 at the head studs. Do you have the o rings around the plugs in the in port for the head stud? Do you have spring oilers? A friend of mine had a lot of trouble with an SB2 sucking the tank dry on the dry sump and the problem was the spring oilers spraying so much oil the scavenge couldn't keep up. We use 3933 in all of our aluminuim head stuff.
The lines are an illusion.. Yes it has the orings. No oilers.
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

Oil drain back holes at ex springs drilled through? The end holes appear to be almost completely obstructed at the block.
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

I missed the cylinder wash issues. You think she washed some walls down? Is this a 1,3,4,2 firing order?
Joe Stalnaker
WV
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Yes 1,3,4,2 order.

I had pullover really bad. It took me a honest 7 days and lots of stalls to get it sorted out.

The walls seem really shiney to me.
Hendrens Racing Engines
Pro
Pro

Post by Hendrens Racing Engines »

Off the subject a bit. I see what appears to be a black line on your plug to index it.
I was running an engine on my dyno one night and in the middle of a pass my customer leaned against the dyno room light switch turning it off. we saw sparks going to ground on every plug. turns out that a lot of black ink has carbon in it to make the color and conducts electricity.
Even though we couldn't hear the engine missing during a run simply cleaning the plugs off with carb cleaner gained 20 H.P. we now use another color and clean it off before installing the plug for the final time.Bill
Hendrens Racing Engines
1310 U.S.Hwy 221 North
Rutherfordton North Carolina 28139
828-286-0780
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Hendrens Racing Engines wrote:Off the subject a bit. I see what appears to be a black line on your plug to index it.
I was running an engine on my dyno one night and in the middle of a pass my customer leaned against the dyno room light switch turning it off. we saw sparks going to ground on every plug. turns out that a lot of black ink has carbon in it to make the color and conducts electricity.
Even though we couldn't hear the engine missing during a run simply cleaning the plugs off with carb cleaner gained 20 H.P. we now use another color and clean it off before installing the plug for the final time.Bill
WOW, that's interetsing. Remember the pullover thread? Anyway I spent a lot of time stalling this in the dark :D I was looking for anything and everything..
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

What circumstances caused you to pull it after 2 passes?