General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

af2 wrote:
curl'd wrote:
Stef wrote:H-Beam are good for high compressive (buckling) loading i.e turbo or supercharged engines. Can't pull as much weight out of them though.
So which way does a rod bend and then break? Is it along the thrust or pin axis?

If the above question is answered and we know the sectional dimensions of an H and I rod, the problem then becomes one of simple mechanics.
Stef
Expert
Expert

Post by Stef »

I've seen both types of rods fail in both axis for various reasons. The critical buckling load is determined generally by the Rankine formula (or modifications thereof). Effective lengths for the rod are normally K=1 for the thrust axis and K=0.5 for the pin axis. But, the pin axis value is not strictly correct and could be as high as K=0.65 (the shape of the transition to the bigend strongly influences this).
Elastic or plastic failure may occur on either axis (or both) depending on rod geometry, cylinder pressure, rpm, etc.
An H-Beam rod is a convienient (for low volume) way to improve the strength in the possibly weaker pin axis for engines with high cylinder pressures and means you don't have to do a rigid analysis for each application which is time consuming and hence costly.
TTV Racing - Race flywheels, clutches, drive shafts and valve guides - over 5000 applications & custom one off's or production runs - made in England.
Suppliers to GT3, LeMans, WRC, Global X-Cross, WTCC, BTCC, F3 and more!
Visit our Instagram Page!
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

I am wondering if some of these connecting rod and rod bolt issues are coming after bearings get hot and the heat on the rods is what may be fatiguing them? Is anyone checking these cranks for heat marks on them when there are failures?

Ed
Stef
Expert
Expert

Post by Stef »

At the end of the day even the most rigid analysis of a connecting rod is worthless if the rod and bolt are made from poor quality materials.
TTV Racing - Race flywheels, clutches, drive shafts and valve guides - over 5000 applications & custom one off's or production runs - made in England.
Suppliers to GT3, LeMans, WRC, Global X-Cross, WTCC, BTCC, F3 and more!
Visit our Instagram Page!
mallow415

Post by mallow415 »

Concerning the Scat i beam rods with 7/16 bolts.
Would you replace the bolts with better arp bolt after 1 season in a dirt track motor?
theMoportal

Post by theMoportal »

Perhaps this might shed some light?

rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

I am not a Pro. But I think primary rod failures are extremely rare and occur due to defects in the metal (which may be acquired if the rods are nicked, or due to manufacturing defects, etc.) not to the cross sectional design. Obviously, rod bolts do fail, but I suspect even most of these failures are due to improper assembly or defects.

Richard
curl'd

Post by curl'd »

To themoportal, those pics are confusing to say the least, perhaps this one will shed some light on it > :wink:

Click on it twice to full-size the image.
theMoportal

Post by theMoportal »

Did I say "shed some light"?

I should have said "stir the pot" -- much more accurate.
Mike Thompson
Post by Mike Thompson »

I have used the inexpensive eagle h-beams in my SBC makeing close to 1000hp with nitrous. They are stronger than you think.

Watch, I'll bust a couple now. :lol:
afrfox
Post by afrfox »

forgive my ignorance, but which one is the best???