Room size effect flow bench? Darin please look

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-9274568

Room size effect flow bench? Darin please look

Post by user-9274568 »

First off, I want to say this is the most helpfull forum I've ever joined. I feel lucky to have a place where I can learn fron some of the countrys best. All the open answers and opinions are truly priceless! Great forum and great core of people who use it.

2nd, Darrin what's up? This is an old work mate. How life been after the ole Madcap Days, wait don't answer I already know! Boy, seems like a lifetime ago, time flies.. I see by your mugs on the R&M site you and Brad still look the same. How is old Brad? Couple of Kansas boys livin the dream!

My question, Will room size effect a flow bench? Can the room be to small. Is there such a problem. Thanks Guys

Chad Speier
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I feel that if you have like a Superflow bench confined in a small room or with any restrictions at the inlet or exhaust passages that the heat will make a difference.
-And if you try to test just exhaust ports one right after another you get heat related problems.
-I've seen where if you tend to have boxes or something restrictive near the vent passages that you get funny numbers.
-I have a digital absolute pressure gauge mounted right on my bench face and it changes up or down a very slight but recognizable amount to this gauge as you turn the bench on and start to move some air.
-I also don't like to flowtest a COLD head as I've seen room temperature VS the same head at 40 degree head flow different numbers.
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

bill jones wrote:-I feel that if you have like a Superflow bench confined in a small room or with any restrictions at the inlet or exhaust passages that the heat will make a difference.
-And if you try to test just exhaust ports one right after another you get heat related problems.
-I've seen where if you tend to have boxes or something restrictive near the vent passages that you get funny numbers.
-I have a digital absolute pressure gauge mounted right on my bench face and it changes up or down a very slight but recognizable amount to this gauge as you turn the bench on and start to move some air.
-I also don't like to flowtest a COLD head as I've seen room temperature VS the same head at 40 degree head flow different numbers.
Bill pretty much summed it up for you Chad.

On anouther note, how the heck have you been. Brad is 35 years old now and just as big a mad man as always. He is back there yanking on the dyno right now. Give me a call and we will catch up.
Darin Morgan
-Induction Research and Development
-EFI Calibration and Tuning
Reher Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
http://www.rehermorrison.com