Aluminum vs Steel rods.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Chief

Aluminum vs Steel rods.

Post by Chief »

With the weights relatively close which rod would be the best choice for use in a top sportsman type engine. "No nitrous". Alcohol fuel injected. 572 cu in 4.50x4.50 all aluminum engine. Also what compression ratio would you want to achieve with this engine? I still have not selected a cam for this engine so that would have a bearing on the piston selection.
One last thing, as an added challenge to all the engine builders out there it is a mopar engine. :lol:

Thanks

Dave
Last edited by Chief on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gregsdart

al or steel

Post by gregsdart »

First off, a 572 would be 4.500 bore, 4.500 stroke. I would go with steel rods, for long life and less expense overall. Alky is best run at or below 14.25 /1 , as anything more just requires more fuel to cover up problems, and results in hurt parts. If you have no heads at the present time, then B1Mc heads from Brodix would make the most power by far. They will make over 1000 hp with porting and a good rollercam. Just be sure and go with either Jesel or T&D rockers, and use offset rollerlifters with oilthrough pushrods. Don't skimp on spring pressure. I run over 300 on the seat with a cam that had a recomendation of 175! (Isky RR735) I use comp 947 springs. And don't forget that the valve lash will increase about .012 with warmup, so set it tighter cold! A good sidebucket pan is a must to control windage, and a vacuum pump, fourvane enhanced with a relief valve will help a lot in keeping the oil from leaking out of the seals, along with providing good Hp increase. Just keep it below 12 inch vacuum. I know that is more than you asked, but there is a large chance to spend $$ in areas that won't help, and i wanted to give you the best info based on the experiances of myself and a few of my friends. Good luck!
Chief

Post by Chief »

Gregsdart,

Oops, I guess I let my fingers get happy with the numbers. I don't know why I used those numbers. I will correct them.
I too am a steel rod fan because of their life span. I just get caught up in the controversy of harmonics and bearing life in aluminum vs steel.
I am considering aluminum but I need to be convinced that there would be a big benefit to using them to offset the expense and that a steel rod just has no use in an engine of this size and intended use.

I already have a set of FBS heads with TD rockers, oil through push rods, and a Hogan sheetmetal intake.

My current engine is a stock (400) block, offset ground stoked to make 468 cubes, Indy 440-1 heads (64cc chambers flowed by MM)and a tunnel ram injection. Best ET to date was 8.66 @ 2430 pounds. I left a lot on the table because the engine was set up rich for super class racing (predictability).

Thanks for the input.

Dave