solid flat tappit lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cheapstreetduster

solid flat tappit lifters

Post by Cheapstreetduster »

Ive been seeing some mixed feelings about the currently available solid flat tappit lifters...
seems the hollow or pressed cap lifters are having failure problems
and the manufacturer of the offerings are dwindliing..
first i am looking for a light , like less than 80 grams lifter
(for a 904 smallblock mopar)
i have the" dumbell "type right now (the center portion of the friction surface is milled out) but my oil pressure will be taking a dump..
i could bush and restrict the oil passages in the block. but id rather not
first question; is can i fill the void in these lifters with something? light like a polymer. or epoxy? to keep the area from dropping oil press.?
(this mopar version oils the rockers and springs throught the head/rockershaft..)
2nd question , it has been brought to my attention that ferrea has a new lifter out..any one with first hand knowledge on these?
3rd shuebecks are pricey and i could go that route and they are light (advertised 63 grams) but id like to rummage around first to see what options i have..
4th any other ideas suggestions.
thanks
cheap
mechanical engineer, carpenter by trade,love racing engines in general, drag race in the NMCA fastest street car cheapstreet class. i am a doit yourselfer
idunno

Post by idunno »

The ferra lifter is a nice piece.They are now testing a coating to see if it helps with the compatability of the material it is made of.I think it is a tool steel body.Alot of the problem in the small block mopar is the lifter bore being too large and bleeding off you pressure.I have a motor in my shop now with simular problems with the crane solid roller lifters having the oil hole right in the oil gally. Great now I have 16 full time oil leaks pumping.This motor oils thru the pushrods. I am now in need of some restricted pushrods simular to the ones people are using on the late ford hyd rollers to stop the oil flow.
There is also a new lifter coming out from Shuman . You can get them from jr's.they are a nice investment cast body that is rockwell tasted and micro machined. They offer .842's and an .0015 oversized .8435 and .874 and .904's. They are not as light as the Ferra but is is still a good piece.
RyanJ

Post by RyanJ »

The Ferrea .904's do not exist yet. I was told on Thursday would be another year+ till they are avail.
BRENT FAY

Post by BRENT FAY »

Yes the oil holes in the chrizzlers are rather size LARGE. Filling the void in the lifter sounds scary plus the material would be heavier than oil to fill it with. Being you dont want to bush the lifter bores you could do this. You can acquire all the materials from local hardware store for this project so that makes this rather easy. I've done this on s/b & b/b chry. and it will help with oil press. Get about 3-4 ft. of 1/2 " soft copper tubing and cut 4 pcs. about 1 1/2" lomger than the front 4 lifter bores and the rear 4 lifter bores. Put a little loctite on them and drive the front ones in 3/4" past the 4th lifter bore and the same way from the rear. May need to make a driver or use a small bushing to get them in far enough. Then drill into the tubing with a 1/16" bit where the tubing is protruding into the lifter bore. Debur the inside of tubing by making a long flap wheel made from 1/4" round stock. You then need to make a broach (if you have a lathe or know someone) use 1" round stock and turn down to .904 and make one end bullet shaped and about 3-4" long O.A. so when driven thru the bore it will drop out in the cam tunnel. Lightley lube broach and drive rounded end down thru the top and out thru the bottom. You can run a ball hone thru the bore to debur or do it by hand. This is only to be done for mech. lifters, not hyd. This is not a torniquette for the bleeding but helps a bunch to control the oil flow. Brent