Electric Vacuum pumps

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rklessdriver

Electric Vacuum pumps

Post by rklessdriver »

I did a search and came up with a little info about this but of course I'm looking for a bit more.

A few folks here and on the NMRA forum have been using the stock LT1 smog pumps and re wiring them with a relay, removing the foam, ect and using them as vacuum pumps on the street...

I'm curious how long they have lasted. I have a 92 Corvette and instead of ripping the thing off the car I'd rather try to re-use it. Seems a hose routed over to a valve cover or in the intake valley would be nicer than valve cover breathers puking oil all over my engine on the street.

382 inch GenII LT1. AFR 210 Elims, 2925 single plane intake conversion, Custom cam from Mike Jones (who I'd really like to give props to), 10.6 SCR, Standard tension oil rings. Engine will be in the car and on its way to the tuner sometime next month due to a snafu on the rev kit which I am still waiting on from the manafacture.

I know the elect pumps only pull like 3-5 inches - even modified, and with standard tension rings I'm not really looking for the extra HP, just something different and cleaner than a breather on each valve cover.

If anyone has any futher updates on their success or not so much success with these elect LT1 pumps I'd like to hear it.
thanks
Will
ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ClassKing »

I used one of these on my dyno. Lasted about a month til it burned up.
It's ok to have three to five inches of draw but it's better to have more.
Why not make something work well, instead of barely. I know, a good one costs a bunch.

Surprised someone hasn't come up with a designed specific electric one.
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
Greenlight
Pro
Pro
Electric Vacuum Pumps

Post by Greenlight »

Here's one that works pretty good. It's likely the best electric one that you will find.

http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/viewPart ... .04.06.000
Project Greenlight
notslowonN2O
Post by notslowonN2O »

All the Star stuff is top notch !!!!!! His shop is right around the corner from me.
FASTFATBOY

Post by FASTFATBOY »

Thunder Racing sells a "better" electric pump kit.

Another is one Off a 4.6 32 valve N/A Cobra I think.

Moroso belt driven 2 vane for the street is best really. Make sure you put a pop off valve in the valvecover...too much vacuum in a streetcar is a bad thing. Or so I have heard.

I run a PCV setup with a seperator in one valvecover, in the other a #12 welded in the valvecover running to a Moroso filtered breather catch tank. Under cruise the pvc is working, intake is dry,under wot if it pukes anything it goes into the Moroso tank.

BTW just out of curiousity, why do you have a rev kit in the car? I had one in a previous motor(AFR KIT) and it was NOTHING but problems in my first LT1.

IMO with the rights springs and valvetrain you do not need a rev kit.

David
91camaross
Post by 91camaross »

i have a ls1 smog pump and it pulls 6 lbs i just took the fome and solinoid out and resealed it and it works great
rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver »

FASTFATBOY wrote:Thunder Racing sells a "better" electric pump kit.

Another is one Off a 4.6 32 valve N/A Cobra I think.

BTW just out of curiousity, why do you have a rev kit in the car? I had one in a previous motor(AFR KIT) and it was NOTHING but problems in my first LT1.

IMO with the rights springs and valvetrain you do not need a rev kit.

David
Thanks for the info on Thunder Racing. (And the Star racing stuff guys.) If the factory pump burns up I'll look into their set ups.

The way its all set up on a Corvette I can hide the catch can over in the front wheel well where the pump is located and it will never be seen. Also I don't want to be milling any additional holes in my valve covers (which are Carbon Fiber) for a PCV system. One hose routed in the intake valley and one hose tapped into the oil fill cap on the drivers valve cover should be clean and painless.

As for the Rev Kit. I've always used them on any hyd rollers turning near or over 7000rpm. Never had any problems with the AFR unit desgined for the stock type lifters (I have Morels) in the past. The valve train and springs are not a problem, I just want the additional insurance since its a 6spd car (on real street tires most the time).
Will
SpeedQuest

Electric Vaccum Pump

Post by SpeedQuest »

I went down this path a little over a year ago with my street driven car. I researched every message board and talked to everyone who would listen.

I purchased and modified (pulled foam, re-wire, etc) TWO of the OEM Chevrolet vaccum pumps. They work awesome...FOR A WHILE. After prolonged use they just burn up!

I then researched a high dollar BMW pump and set it up. Same story...worked great for a while and then after an hour it turned into a toaster.

I finally got off the wallet and purchased a used Product Engineering pump (with all the hoses, fittings, ect.) and put the issue to rest.

I can drive my car to the track, runs 10's and then drive home without any issues. Not cheap, but definitely worth the piece of mind.

I've seen people successfully run the GM pumps on econorails and the like at the track without many problems. However, if you're planning on any type of extended use, it's pay now or pay later...

Just my thoughts.
curtis reed

Post by curtis reed »

The Thunder Racing electric pump I saw on there website is a GM 2000 and later smog pump. I just bought 2 of them off E-Bay one for .99 cents and one brand new in the box for $22.00.

Curtis
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

I use a SVT Taurus one and have not worn it out yet pulls 4 inches
2007 HotRod Drag Week Winner SB/NA
2012 HotRod Drag Week Winner SS SB/NA
Fastest/Quickest Small Block N/A
Stock Suspension Car on Drag Week since 2007
9.67@ 139 with a 1.42 60' thru the Mufflers Dot tires
Thanks RFD Heads and Intakes
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro
Post by Ron Miller »

How about the electric vacuum pump used on the small mid 80's GM cars. This pump was used for the brakes. I had a guy tell me they can pull up to 22 " of vacuum and run continuous. I did some research and found the GM part number's 260018888 & 22034995. This pump was used on the 1.8 liter J-body cars (Cavalier, Citation, Cad Seville, GMC motor homes) from 82 to 92. You can still buy this pump new. I'm going to find a good used one.

Curtis, I like the Thunder Racing pump a little better. That pump has a GM part number of 12568382.

I would like to try a couple of different electric pumps, see how well they will hold up and just how much vacuum they can pull.
Ron Miller
curtis reed

Post by curtis reed »

Ron,

Are you saying the thunder pump is the GM 12568382? If so that is the pump I am saying I bought 2 of. I might look into the '80s pump you spoke about. I also bought one of the '90s corvette pumps that has the solenoid valve in it. I am only looking to reduce the water from alcohol in the crankcase, not really trying to increase HP with it though.

Curtis
TORKER

Post by TORKER »

has anyone run it with a breather on the other vavle cover just to keep engine clean?
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

I run mine with a tank and breather and sealed engine if you use a breather on the engine all you will do is suck oil, lots of oil and have no vacuum
2007 HotRod Drag Week Winner SB/NA
2012 HotRod Drag Week Winner SS SB/NA
Fastest/Quickest Small Block N/A
Stock Suspension Car on Drag Week since 2007
9.67@ 139 with a 1.42 60' thru the Mufflers Dot tires
Thanks RFD Heads and Intakes
mistermike
Post by mistermike »

I burned up a brand new GM electric pump in less than a day. The brush supports are plastic and melted. Subsequent conversation with a GM powertrain engineer revealed that these are built for intermittant supplemental duty for the AIR system, so were never intended to run continuously. Thunder Racing is a good outfit, AFAIK, but they really ought not to be selling these.

I bought a used Pierburg (BMW) pump, slowed it down with 8/10 ohm resistance (approx 6 volt drop) and ran it 8 hours on the bench without overheating. The motor is larger and more robust than on the GM pump.

I'm using this for basic crankcase evacuation on a supercharged GM LS motor in lieu of the wretched PCV that sucks oil and naturally has no vacuum at WOT. I'm not suggesting that it's going to provide enough vacuum to improve ring seating, or is a reasonable substitute for the Star Machine products, but it will keep the crankcase sludge down without blackening my pistons with carbon.