Important Dyno Data - A Quiz

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

WAWA wrote:you mean it's not to finish the great "which is better, Carb's or F.I dedate" :wink:
I wish. 8) 8) 8) I wanted a free dyno session. 8) 8) 8)
Let's face it, I'm sure everything is going to be important, but the faster it accelerates from one RPM to the next at any given load has to show the final results of the usable power within the desired operating range. Fuel consumption would be an issue on a cup car. Individual cylinder combustion pressure, temperature, A/F ratio, would allow one the data to maximize overall output. All downhill from there. Maybe valvetrain dynamics under actual operating loads/RPM's?
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Test postponed until early next week.
Mike Laws Performance
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Does the engine in question race 99% of the time in gear or does it use gear changes?

If so the transitional response/Recovery response would be the 2nd variable after acceleraion time from RPM a to b.

Bret
[img]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs139.snc1/5928_111214857139_110806152139_2127222_6826389_n.jpg[/img]
[i]Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do[/i]- Penske garage sign @ Indy circa '71
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

SStrokerAce wrote:Does the engine in question race 99% of the time in gear or does it use gear changes?

If so the transitional response/Recovery response would be the 2nd variable after acceleraion time from RPM a to b.

Bret
Bret:

The engines for this test are in high gear most of the time; although the point you bring up is very important.

Excelleration is in the design-process of equipping one of the dyno's with a transmission, which will allow for analysis of this response/recovery that you speak of. As you know, there is a lot going with the engine at the rapid transition during and immediately following an upshift and providing the ability with the engine at WOT is highly anticipated. The transmission option will not be in effect for the test session next week.
Mike Laws Performance
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

From the Article -- "Kasse - 900 inches and still going"
http://www.gofastnews.com/board/technic ... going.html

The dyno John uses to test is also a little out of the ordinary to the extent they have modified it so that the engine drives through a 4 speed Lenco to simulate, as closely as possible, a car making a pass down the strip.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

This dyno test session was finally run yesterday and I can report in more detail than previously considered.

Engine: Dodge R5-P7 Cup Engine w/restrictor plate.

Test: Durability & acceleration using trace chart of 1 lap @ 2.5 mile Daytona Speedway.

RPM range: 8200-8500 at WOT. Variance due to cornering resistance. Occasionally accelerated to 8900 RPM for simulated higher speed drafting periods.

Range: 700 miles total. 1st run = 80 miles, stopped for valve lash check. 2nd run = 60 miles, stopped for visual inspection of engine & dyno. 3rd run = 560 miles non-stop @ WOT.

Duration of 560 mile continuous test: Approx: 4 hours.

The engine & dyno were automatically controlled throughout the test session.

Both engine & dyno performed flawlessly.

Engine parameters monitored:

Accel Rate
Torque/HP
A/F
Oil Flow & Press.
Fuel Flow
Air Flow

Dyno settings: Full inertia package engaged. 3.5:1 Gear ratio. RPM variance controlled by varying water brake load via automatic controller.
Mike Laws Performance
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

Mike,

Sounds like a fun test. Did you guys use a pressurized radiator setup, or a standard dyno heat exchanger?

Doug
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Doug Schriefer wrote:Mike,

Sounds like a fun test. Did you guys use a pressurized radiator setup, or a standard dyno heat exchanger?

Doug
Hi Doug:

A pressurized heat exchanger was used.

More interesting data:

The 560 mile nonstop segment consisted of cycling the restrictor plate engine through the rpm span that the engine will experience in the Daytona 500. There were no simulated pit stops made. This portion of the test took 186 minutes to complete.

The crankshaft made 1,562,400 revolutions in the 186 minutes.
Mike Laws Performance
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

Sounds like you had some fun. Where you running the accessories?
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Doug Schriefer wrote:Sounds like you had some fun. Where you running the accessories?
I wasn't even there! Got updates each hour. I heard it was quite an event.
Mike Laws Performance
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

Mike Laws wrote:
Doug Schriefer wrote:Sounds like you had some fun. Where you running the accessories?
I wasn't even there! Got updates each hour. I heard it was quite an event.
I understand that. Just getting back in the office here after a bunch of travel...

Talk to ya later...
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

[quote="Mike Laws..The crankshaft made 1,562,400 revolutions in the 186 minutes.[/quote]

8,400 RPM average! I had no idea plate engines ran that high! :shock:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

MadBill wrote:8,400 RPM average! I had no idea plate engines ran that high! :shock:
Yep. Part of the COT-deal. Bigger hole in the plate. At Talladega last year they were seeing 8,900 at certain times. (New tires, lined up & catching a 2-wide group...) 8,800 @ Daytona during testing last month too.
Mike Laws Performance
xenginebuilder
Expert
Expert

Re: Important Dyno Data - A Quiz

Post by xenginebuilder »

Mike Laws wrote: After the test has concluded; I will post the type of data in the order of importance to this company.
Well???

Inquiring minds want to know!
If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Re: Important Dyno Data - A Quiz

Post by Mike Laws »

xenginebuilder wrote:
Mike Laws wrote: After the test has concluded; I will post the type of data in the order of importance to this company.
Well???

Inquiring minds want to know!
1) Durability
2) Durability
3) Durability
4) Oil Flow & Pressure

This team failed a 500 mile durability test less than a month ago at a facility in Detroit. Working 7 days @ week since that test; the team worked out a combination they hoped would last for 500 miles and still have good power. They succeeded.

Once they realized the engine was sound (and while the durability test was underway), they studied:

5) Acceleration from 8200-8500, and from 8200-8900 RPM's.
6) Fuel Flow
7) Air Flow
Mike Laws Performance