Quite muffler that doesn't kill power...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Grits & Gravy

Quite muffler that doesn't kill power...

Post by Grits & Gravy »

I need a 3" muffler for my daily driver that doesn't kill power... 550hp mild 496 BBC.

I have magnaflow ovals on it now but I want something quieter that won't hurt the power, how bad does something like the thrush "turbo muffler" hurt power?
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

I'm hearing good things about quick flow:

http://www.quickflowmufflers.com/products.htm
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

quiet mufflers

Post by bigjoe1 »

We put the Magaflow longer ( 20 iinch) on an 820 HP car and it is soo quiet that it is embarrising. On the dyno, the 20 inch lost NO hP to the shorter 14 inch size.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
Grits & Gravy

Re: quiet mufflers

Post by Grits & Gravy »

bigjoe1 wrote:We put the Magaflow longer ( 20 iinch) on an 820 HP car and it is soo quiet that it is embarrising. On the dyno, the 20 inch lost NO hP to the shorter 14 inch size.

It is the 14inch that I have and I had considered switching too the longer version, you might have twisted my arm. 8)
VMC
Pro
Pro
Post by VMC »

I tested a pair of Walker # 17665 3" mufflers on my own 530+ HP 496 on the dyno. With a pair of 3' long collector extensions (trying to simulate under-car pipes on the dyno) they actually picked up 30 ft.lbs and 32 HP over open 2" headers and no collector extensions, and were surprisingly quiet until you really leaned on them.

Eric
hurstoldsracer

Post by hurstoldsracer »

Believe it or not, I had a set of the cheap Summit welded mufflers on my street/strip car 10 years ago that were very quiet. They were 3" offset/offset ran to the rear axle with no turn downs. It was an 85 Monte Carlo SS with a 14:1 421 SBC, and like Joe Sherman says, it was embarrassing it was so quiet. I switched to 3" center/center Flowmasters (the old style Outlaw mufflers) because I could not hear my car while I was going down the track. The car ran 7.000 (1/8 mile) before and after. The Flowmasters sounded good at the track, but were obnoxious on the street, drawing much unnecessary attention. I would go with the Summits again if I wanted a sleeper or something that did not give me a headache.
Mike
If you build what everyone else builds, you are only going to be as fast as they are. www.loughengines.com
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

We had a local stock car class mandate a certain muffler. On the dyno that muffler took over 20hp from the engine. I read the rules, and it didn't say how many mufflers, so I made a couple of 3" "Y"'s and ran 4 mufflers on it. It gained almost all it's power back, and it was the quitest car on the track. They quickly changed the rules to say "2 mufflers", shortly after they saw what we did.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

VMC wrote:I tested a pair of Walker # 17665 3" mufflers on my own 530+ HP 496 on the dyno. With a pair of 3' long collector extensions (trying to simulate under-car pipes on the dyno) they actually picked up 30 ft.lbs and 32 HP over open 2" headers and no collector extensions, and were surprisingly quiet until you really leaned on them.
Eric
It would be interesting to know how much power it would make with the 3' collector extensions, and no mufflers.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Camking, did the rules say unmodified? Could you remove some of the insides, or just run a pipe straight through the muffler? Then when tech looked under the car they would still see mufflers.

Randy
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

mufflers

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have tested the mufflers against collector extentions befor and they work exactly the same ( Magnaflows)One car I know runs a tiny bit FASTER with the mufflers than without ( even though the weiigh 45 pounds)Once, on an 800 HP smallblock, adding the mufflers PICKED UP 8 or 9 HP at the peak.

torquefan

Re: mufflers

Post by torquefan »

bigjoe1 wrote:I have tested the mufflers against collector extentions befor and they work exactly the same ( Magnaflows)One car I know runs a tiny bit FASTER with the mufflers than without ( even though the weiigh 45 pounds)Once, on an 800 HP smallblock, adding the mufflers PICKED UP 8 or 9 HP at the peak.

big joe, any thoughts as to why that happened? does the muffler make the engine think it has a smaller exhaust port?
FASTFATBOY

Post by FASTFATBOY »

Dynatech splitflow muffs are quiet, Never seen a test on them. But there are a few cars around here going quick with them.

DAvid
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Would gaining power when a muffler is added, suggest a different header is needed??
Does the muffler dampen, eliminate, or change the timming, of an exhaust pulse that was out of time with the engine??

Randy
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

randy331 wrote:Camking, did the rules say unmodified? Could you remove some of the insides, or just run a pipe straight through the muffler? Then when tech looked under the car they would still see mufflers.

Randy
You can't touch them, and they have to pass a Db test.
We just went to the biggest tube we could after the collector, and ran it all the way to the back of the car, and then stepped it down for the muffler.
Last edited by CamKing on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

randy331 wrote:Would gaining power when a muffler is added, suggest a different header is needed??
Does the muffler dampen, eliminate, or change the timming, of an exhaust pulse that was out of time with the engine??

Randy
If you gain power by adding a muffler, your engine was inefficient to begin with. Any power gain you see by adding a muffler, was just part of the power that was lost by something else being wrong.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449