filling a block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

Wolfplace wrote:
L89 Chevelle wrote:
Ed-vancedEngines wrote:Most grout is very low expanding. It shrinks.

If you would be seriously thinking of using a concrete grout in an engine, let me make a suggest to do firts. Make you a little box where you can remove the sides of it with screws. Fill it to the top with the grout. Let it cure real good and not the cured level difference from where it was when wet. Remove the sides and see if it is stuck to them or if it is even touching them. That is what it will do in your engine. Notice how hard it cures and how easy it is to chip pieces off.

There is no way in the world that I would put concrete grout in an engine. Hard Block may cost some money or the Moroso but it is far less money than the Devcon we used when all this craze began.

Ed
My bad it must have been very low shrinking not expanding, but I have talked to some guy's that are useing it in there engines. Just talked to a guy @ Denton dragway Texas the other day said he has been useing it for a while. ( 427 tall deck filled to top, runs a 6-71 injected on alky and 80to90% nitro ) in a alterd running 4.10 in the 1/8 mile. Seems to work good for him.
=
L89
What does very low shrinking mean?
It still gets smaller :lol:
How does he know it works for him?
How thick are the cylinders to start with in his block?
Could be they were a quarter inch + in which case there a good chance they would have been fine with no fill in the first place.

There are a lot of blocks out there with nothing in them that appear to be happy as clams without it.
It could very well be he is using grout but in my opinion he is pretty much amusing himself,,, it shrinks.

Could be that he would be fine with no fill
Could be the walls are flexing to the grout
I do not believe either scenario is what you want a filled block to do

My suggestion is if you are going to fill a block use the stuff that has proven itself to do what is expected & this ain't grout :wink:
I would say it would not shrink very much from the sounds of it.
Yes it would get smaller just like any other water based mix.
We don't know it works and we don't know it doesn't work for him.
I don't know how thick the walls were before he filled it but he said it's been filled for the last 3yrs and running that way. :wink: :)
I say it might work but like you said ( use the stuff that has proven itself to do what is expected ) would be hard to convince this guy it didn't work.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Once again I find the level of posting sinking to a new low.

Some people are giving advice that shouldn't be. Putting out suggestions out of cheapness and lack of knowledge and then they want to back them up.

It's embarrassing, unfortunate and sad to see this going on in this forum.

This forum has been about sharing ideas... trying to learn and share how to do things properly and to the best of ones ability.

Now we are getting all these posts about "what kind of cheap crap can I get away with"

I understand building on a budget, but come on folks.

There are some true pro's that post here. Pro's that are at the highest level of the game. Would you rather learn and discuss with them or argue about how to do some half-ass ill-advised cheapo method?

There are tons of backyard BS sites out there. Lets keep this at a higher level.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
ap72
Guru
Guru
Re: filling a block

Post by ap72 »

I just filled a block with non shrink machine grout and while I just did it as a "lets see if this works" I'm really wondering how different it is from Hardblok. Does anyone have any information on the hardblok? I can't find anything on strength, expansion, MSDS, etc. I'd be interested in the stuff for Moroso too, I believe Moroso has some added iron content, Hardblok says its non metallic though.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
dirtdemon59
Re:

Post by dirtdemon59 »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Once again I find the level of posting sinking to a new low.

Some people are giving advice that shouldn't be. Putting out suggestions out of cheapness and lack of knowledge and then they want to back them up.

It's embarrassing, unfortunate and sad to see this going on in this forum.

This forum has been about sharing ideas... trying to learn and share how to do things properly and to the best of ones ability.

Now we are getting all these posts about "what kind of cheap crap can I get away with"

I understand building on a budget, but come on folks.

There are some true pro's that post here. Pro's that are at the highest level of the game. Would you rather learn and discuss with them or argue about how to do some half-ass ill-advised cheapo method?

There are tons of backyard BS sites out there. Lets keep this at a higher level.

Go back and look how posts and answers have evolved since this great site began. I want to listen to the big dogs talk! 8)