CRANKSHAFTS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Trev

CRANKSHAFTS

Post by Trev »

Hi Guys
A company here in Australia is making me a billet 3.750 inch crank for a Holden V8
It will have lightening holes through the big ends like lots of other cranks, but he i also going to put a hole up the centre of the crank.
Do you guys think this is good or bad.
I am worried it will loose strenght.

Trev
tk
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: CRANKSHAFTS

Post by tk »

Trev wrote:Hi Guys
A company here in Australia is making me a billet 3.750 inch crank for a Holden V8
It will have lightening holes through the big ends like lots of other cranks, but he i also going to put a hole up the centre of the crank.

Trev
Gun drilled cranks are no problem.
www.crower.com
www.scatcrankshafts.com

Lots more I don't know if Winberg cranks have a web site but the prettiest and lightest cranks i've even seen!
Tom K.
www.tkrace.com
tkracehead@hotmail.com

I love motorsports because all other sports require only 1 ball!

Cheap...Powerful....Reliable...Choose only 2 of the 3
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

Trev
The OEM cast Corvette 5.7L LS1 crank is drilled completely thru the center. It has a stamped plug pressed into the end to seal the hole. A truck crank I saw did not have the thru hole.

Eliminating this mass on the centerline has almost no offect on rotating inertia, and not a lot on strength. While it doesn't save a kilo, GM engineers were allowed to spend a few bucks for every kilo of mass they could eliminate from the original C5 design.
Racer7088
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer7088 »

On the LS1, the gundrilled crank also helps bay to bay breathing somewhat as well.
Erik Koenig

Houston, TX

http://samracing.com

http://HKRacingEngines.com
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

OldSStroker wrote:

Trev
The OEM cast Corvette 5.7L LS1 crank is drilled completely thru the center. It has a stamped plug pressed into the end to seal the hole. A truck crank I saw did not have the thru hole.

Eliminating this mass on the centerline has almost no offect on rotating inertia, and not a lot on strength. While it doesn't save a kilo, GM engineers were allowed to spend a few bucks for every kilo of mass they could eliminate from the original C5 design.

Couldn't you just offset the stock crank to the 3.75? I know Bret is going to do that to my crankshaft. It would be cheaper than an aftermarket crank for the most part.
Trev

Nope

Post by Trev »

No Floyd the stock crank is only 3.4 inches
Bit much for an offset grind
Plus im hoping for 800 hp plus another 300 in nitrous so the stock crank would die
Floyd
Post by Floyd »

Ahh I was assuming you had a later model Holden V8, based off of an LSX style motor.