motor or engine?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SB 377

motor or engine?

Post by SB 377 »

I have been debating with a friend of mine,about how to refer to an engine.Is it ok to call it a motor? He says a motor is electric. In the dictionary one of the definitions for motor is : one that imparts motion;
this is something that an internal combustion engine does. Why is a automobile referred to as a motor vehicle? A motor vehicle has an engine compartment. A motorcycle is not called an engine cycle.And finally, the online Merriam- Webster dictionary reads, internal combustion engine; a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy. So I would have to conclude, that according to the dictionary an engine and a motor are equal because they both impart motion.So I guess its ok to refer to an engine as a motor. I told my friend that it is hard to argue with the dictionary, but he is firmly believes it is an engine and nothing else. What do ya'all think. Motor on.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I'd almost bet money this guy drives a Chrysler or a Ford.
---------------------------------------
-The way I see it is an electric motor or an air operated motor are both "motors" and an internal combustion engine is a also motor.
-BUT an electric or air motor is NOT an engine.
k-star
Guru
Guru

engine

Post by k-star »

I remember reading a explanation about this on the internet one time but i do not remember where. I do remember from the article they are to be called engines...... not motors.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

I agree with Bill ...

All engines are motors .... all motors are not engines.

Engines are just one type of motor.

Rick
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

Rick360 wrote:I agree with Bill ...

All engines are motors .... all motors are not engines.

Engines are just one type of motor.

Rick
Often an engine is defined as a device (motor) that converts thermal energy to mechanical work. That implies combustion of a fuel.

Most automobiles are powered by internal-combustion (IC) engines. Steam engines are external-combustion, as are closed-cycle gas turbines, few of which are used for "motor vehicles" today. :)

If we talk discuss the powerplants in our drag cars, street cars or even F1 cars, we should properly call them "Internal-combustion engines", but except in textbooks, that's quite cumbersome, so "engine" suffices.

When an old-time NASCAR driver was asked why he dropped out of the race, he replied, "Motor broke!". Saying "The Internal-combustion engine failed." just wouldn't have the same effect.

Many automotive engineers are careful in their use of "engine" and "motor", because they recognize the difference. Of course describing one's job as an "Engine Engineer" doesn't roll well off the tongue. "Engine Designer" sounds better to me.

My $.02
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

?

Post by Darin Morgan »

Etymology: Latin, from movEre to move
1 : one that imparts motion; specifically : PRIME MOVER
2 : any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3 : MOTOR VEHICLE; especially : AUTOMOBILE
- mo·tor·dom /-d&m/ noun
- mo·tor·less /-l&s/ adjective
Darin Morgan
-Induction Research and Development
-EFI Calibration and Tuning
Reher Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
http://www.rehermorrison.com
Motorman 407
Post by Motorman 407 »

Why is Detroit called Motor city? Are they known for electric motors there?
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

Motorman 407 wrote:Why is Detroit called Motor city? Are they known for electric motors there?
As a matter of fact...sorta. :)
A popular early 1900's car was the Detroit Electric, built by the Anderson Electric Car Co. Definitely had a "motor".

http://www.lib.wayne.edu/resources/spec ... ctric.html

http://www.haritech.com/Detroit.html

Even Henry's wife had one!

http://www.henryfordestate.com/claracar.html

And the beat goes on...
Motorman 407
Post by Motorman 407 »

Mabye it originates from Detroits founder count De Cadillac saying muutor meaning beaver in French. And Henrys wife had one of them to:-)
jake197000
Expert
Expert
Re: motor or engine?

Post by jake197000 »

Henry Ford bought Martha an electric car
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I always though it was funny when they sold "motor" oil. Thought motors didn't need oil, only engines needed oil. :lol:
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Old thread back from the dead...

A motor is defined as a machine or device that converts energy into motion. An engine is a specific type of motor that converts thermal energy into motion. All engines are motors, but not all motors are engines. Hence we can use the word motor in reference to an engine and be correct. Motorsports, motor oil, motortrend, motor speedway, ♪Get your motor run'n!♪, etc...
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

This Topic is wasted space on Mikes website, oops i just added to it, :lol:
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

When I’m peddling my bicycle, am I a motor or and engine?

When I grasp a straw and insert into my cup, I’m using fine motor skills.

Honestly I don’t know how peoples heads don’t explode trying to learn the English language. A motor provides a force to move or operate things. Big distinction at least to me is an engine burns fuel or otherwise uses heat to make useable motion to operate something. Like a steam engine, piston engine, Wankel engine. An engine is a type of motor. An electric motor is never an engine. But an engine can be a motor. Even if that engine provides the necessary electricity for the motor.