retorquing maincaps ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SB 377

retorquing maincaps ?

Post by SB 377 »

I recently changed the oil pan on my 351 Cleveland. I also got rid of the windage tray, I installed at initial assembly. So, this intailed loosening the maincaps. I started with the middle cap and ended up at the rear cap. I retorqued each cap without moving the cap. All to 100ft lbs. My question is, did I disturb the crankshaft endplay or thrust on the rear cap?
Trev

Hi

Post by Trev »

Hi there
Im not sure what you are asking and Im no expert.
If your asking if you have upset the location of the thrust bearing location in relation to the crank
As far as I know you can remove your caps over and over again and it wont matter a damn.
I presume (and only presume) with my little knowledge that the crank will settle and run in the correct location from the oil pressure feeding thru the slots in the thrust bearing.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Actually, you could mess up the end play. Been a while since I worked on a 351c but as I recall the thrust bearing is not location pinned and can be moved.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Easiest check is to take a screw driver an pry the crank, gently, back and forth. If it moves, you have end play. If not, remove the thrust cap and reset accordingly.

Have a safe race
Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com
0260IN3

Post by 0260IN3 »

Dave is right on the money. The thrust bearing is on the middle main cap. Simply check to see if the crank moves back and forth. If it does not, loosen the center cap (thrust) move the crank forward and back a couple times, then move it back and hold it, then torque the cap to your spec and your ready to go. Hope it works out good for you!
Mark

ex engine builder/machinist now living the dream........
Trev

oh no

Post by Trev »

Ohhhhhh
so when you install your thrust bearing (regardless of where it is) You should make sure it moves forward and backward.
If for instance it only moves one way. Where does the other movement get stopped. I have never ever did that lol, just dropped it in and do it Up.
Trev
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Re: oh no

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

Trev wrote:Ohhhhhh
so when you install your thrust bearing (regardless of where it is) You should make sure it moves forward and backward.
If for instance it only moves one way. Where does the other movement get stopped. I have never ever did that lol, just dropped it in and do it Up.
Trev
Some of the SBC have the rear main caps dowel pined but when we place the rear cap we ALWAYS PULL the crank to the front torque the caps up and check the end play. We always pull the crank to the front as thats what happens when you push the clutch in its always tring to push the crank foward.

Any time we need more thrust clearance we wiil machine the front of the thrust bearing that way if the don't come out perfect it doesn't affect anything as the crank has nothing pushing it towards the rear.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole