tbi chevy cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gmc406

Post by gmc406 »

I see now, I didn't realize you were from California. It's hard to built an engine that still passes smog, yet make good power. We don't have those issues.......yet. Thanks for the info.
luker
Re: tbi chevy cams

Post by luker »

I have an interest using the Mutha thumper cam. It has a lsa of 107. Will a TBI setup work with this extreme?
I have 1990 chevy half ton. Stock 350 with long tube 2.5 headers/dual no cats turndowns. Factory chip 700r with kit and 2300 stall. Stock heads too.
Justin_inc
Re:

Post by Justin_inc »

needforspeed66gt wrote:
482OLDS wrote:
I wonder if I could get better than or even keep the 14/15 mpg it gets now and a nice gain in power too???.
LOL - I should add that while we picked a big chunk of power with the carb conversion, the MPG dropped significantly - I forget the number, but you will never get the MPG out of a carb setup that you can do with EFI.
I wouldnt say that for sure. I swapped to a carb setup on my 91 K1500, its a 840cfm Holley double pumper that was originally built by the carb shop for a blow-through application. Its way too big, and no where near 'right for the application' however it works and is tuned in not too bad now. If i drive it like a sane person, i get the exact same mileage as i did with the TBI. I get 14-15MPG with 35X12.50 boggers on it (hwy driving @ 65mph). IMO it all depends on application. however i do regret going to carb, but it was just easier than repairing all of the hacked wiring that was in the truck from the previous owner.
Beretta

Re: tbi chevy cams

Post by Beretta »

Can you put a TBI unit from a 454 on a 5.7 intake? Looking to do a 383 for my truck but it's used mostly to drag my trailer around..
What is the max compression ratio for this type of build if your going to use plus or super??