General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

Well, here's some food for thought.

Now I ain't no engineer and make no claims, but-

Look at radial flow turbine (such as a turbocharger) design and math.

Empirical and theoretical data says as the gas flow goes from the nozzle area and spirals inward to the scroll outlet at the turbine blade tips, velocity AND pressure go up within this continually narrowing channel.

But, you are dealing with a compressible fluid, not an uncompressible fluid. So, do the physical properties of the fluid make a difference? It would appear so to the layman that ain't never had the laws pounded into him.
ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ClassKing »

Holy Crap -
if you ain't reading this whole page ............

http://www.aeronautics.ws/blunders.html
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
Cheapstreetduster

Post by Cheapstreetduster »

the carberator data .. reminds me of the CV carberators of 4stroke ohv
4 cyl motorcycle engines
or constant velocity carberators..
mechanical engineer, carpenter by trade,love racing engines in general, drag race in the NMCA fastest street car cheapstreet class. i am a doit yourselfer
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

"Engineering says:

1. Air is incompressible."

Isn't that part of the definition of a gas - that it's compressible?
todd8541
Post by todd8541 »

It is compressible. I talked with the guy the other day for a few minutes and he said he got that statement out of some engineering text a while back. I don't know about that I don't see how engineering on fluids would have changed in just a few years before I took the classes at Auburn.

Todd
todd8541
Post by todd8541 »

It is compressible. I talked with the guy the other day for a few minutes and he said he got that statement out of some engineering text a while back. I don't know about that I don't see how engineering on fluids would have changed in just a few years before I took the classes at Auburn.

Todd
hotrod
Pro
Pro

matter of definitions

Post by hotrod »

Its not that air is incompressible, its an engineering convention that simplifies calculations.

At low air speeds (low mach numbers) you can treat air as if it were incompressable for some types of calculations and the errors due to that simplifying assumption are so small that they can be ignored.

At higher mach numbers they have to go through all the complex calculations to account for these errors.

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classe ... node6.html

As you can see by the above link, air flow in a port at sonic choke or even .55 mach would have to be treated with consideration of compressability effects, so not a simple calculation for things like computer simulations.

Larry